etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Ambassadors: The Friendliest Faces at Central

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

An often forgotten role on CMU’s campus is the tour guide role. The Campus Ambassador program is an extension of the admissions office, a volunteer program that has a group of around 60 students willing to brave any of the Mount Pleasant weather to show prospective students around. I myself have been a Campus Ambassador since last spring and have enjoyed every tour I’ve given. Just this week, applications have opened for students to apply to be a Campus Ambassador. I talked to Central Michigan junior Megan Lawrence who has been a Campus Ambassador since her second semester of freshman year. Going into the fall of 2018, Lawrence moved up in the program and is now one of the Coordinators for the Campus Ambassador Program. Lawrence schedules tours, solves problems, leads trainings, and plans educational outings for the program.

What is the role campus ambassadors fill?

Our Campus Ambassadors are not just tour guides, they are much more. We really want our Ambassadors to share their stories and make the tours their own. We want prospective students to see what a real student’s life is like on campus. Our Ambassadors know and share facts about campus, but they also share what makes Central so special to them.

What kinds of tours are there?

We do family tours, school tours, and individual tours for students who want to see specific buildings on weekdays and weekends. We also put on events like Transfer Day for prospective transfer students, Fire Up Friday, and CMU and You Day.

What do students need to know when applying for the position?

We are looking for students who are professional, adaptable, have strong verbal communication skills, and are fired up! To apply, students need to have been a CMU student for at least one semester and have at least a 2.75 GPA.

What are the benefits of being a Campus Ambassador?

Being a Campus Ambassador is great for personal and professional development. Our Ambassadors also gain skills like communication, public speaking, and being able to think on their feet.

Applications for Campus Ambassadors are open now until Friday, March 15th at 5 pm on Orgsync. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to the Coordinators at CMICHCA@cmich.edu.

My name is Julia, and I am a junior from Kentwood, MI double majoring in Advertising and Psychology. My other involvements include Study Abroad Ambassadors, Campus Ambassadors, and the Honors Program. I'm excited to expand my skills while working with Her Campus, and I'm hopeful that this chapter will bring a lot of enjoyment to students at CMU. I am so excited to continue as the Advertising Chair for this chapter!