This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Living in a massive complex like college dorms can make it difficult to be environmentally friendly. You don’t have control over things like appliances, food sources and food waste, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be Earth friendly!  Here are some easy tips to make your stay in the dorms easy on the environment!

1. Wool Dryer Balls

Wool Dryer Balls are the perfect way to ditch dryer sheet waste! They typically last for 2-5 years and reduce static in your clothing, but they don’t contain any of the toxic chemicals that dryer sheets do. To freshen up your dryer balls, just wash them on their own hot water cycle and dry on high heat. You can find these little guys at almost any supermarket and multiple sites online including Etsy and Amazon.

2. Bamboo Toothbrushes

Bamboo toothbrushes are a small change that makes a huge difference. Most people use several different toothbrushes in a year, which adds up to a substantial amount of waste. Standard plastic toothbrushes are not biodegradable and release toxic chemicals if incinerated, but bamboo is the answer. Bamboo toothbrushes have recyclable bristles and biodegradable handles, so there’s no environmental price to pay for your dental health. Even better, bamboo is naturally antimicrobial, so you don’t have to worry about bacteria and germs all over your toothbrush. They are a tad more expensive than a normal pack of toothbrushes, but for no waste it’s definitely worth it.

3. Re-usable Cleaning Rags

When you’re living in a small space with multiple people, things are bound to get messy. Next time you want to clean up, reach for a rag or an old t-shirt that you can wash and re-use before you grab the paper towel. You’ll find your trash stays low for longer since you’ve significantly decreased your paper waste! You’ll also save some money not buying paper towel, and in college, every penny counts!

4. Re-usable Water Bottle

College kids are notorious for keeping a 64 pack of plastic water bottles under the bed. While this is a super quick and easy way to stay hydrated, plastic bottles are so wasteful! Investing in a re-usable water bottle is a great way to eliminate this waste and keep you hydrated. If you don’t like the taste of the drinking fountain water down the hall, a Brita filter pitcher can help! Fill it up under your sink, wait for it to filter out and fill your bottle for the day.

5. Recycle

Of all five, this is probably the most obvious way to keep your room as eco-friendly as possible. Designate one of your trash cans to be a recycling bin for paper and plastic, and find an old box to use for aluminum cans. Always be sure to check the labels of what you buy, so you’ll know if it can be recycled. Most dumpster areas will have a recycling receptacle with clearly marked bins regarding which materials you can sort in them. You can also take aluminum cans to your local grocery store and return them for a little spending money!

•music theatre & public relations• •pianist• •cmu 2020•    
Hi there! My name is Kara and I am originally from Freeland, Michigan, a tiny town in the Mid-Michigan area. I am a junior here at Central Michigan University and I am pursuing a degree in Advertising and Multi-Media Design. I have a passion for art, fashion, and music so I hope to one day work in one of these industries. My dream is to live in Chicago or New York! On campus, I am involved with the Honors Program, Advertising Student Development Forum (ASDF), the Beta Phi chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, and am now serving as the co-correspondent and editor-in-chief of the C-Mich chapter of Her Campus. I am excited to take on this role and be working with our team throughout this journey! I absolutely love Her Campus and everything that it stands for. It is not only important to empower women, but important to empower people of all sexualities, genders, races, religious beliefs, etc. A fun fact about me is that I love to roller blade and I spent over a month in Thailand this past summer!