Career

Workin’ Woman: Kait Wilbur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

Welcome to Workin’ Women, a new Her Campus profile series where we get to know the ladies of Butler and their side hustles: part-time, on-campus, co-ops, or internships.

This week’s Workin’ Woman is Kait Wilbur, a junior Strategic Communication and Digital Media major and current Copywriting Intern at Young & Laramore in downtown Indianapolis. In addition to creating content for Y&L, one of Indy’s best and brightest advertising agencies, Kait is also a singer-songwriter with a recent EP and is a writer for Her Campus.

HC: So, what do you do?

Kait: I’m basically a member of the creative team! I assist with writing on campaigns and coming up with concepts on some smaller stuff. So far it’s mostly been print and social media. I also sit in meetings and give input sometimes. (It’s hardly ever good input.)

I work approximately 23 hours a week. I’m basically living a double life as a college student and an ad agency person. I’m at Y&L more than I’m in class. Which is dope!

HC: Favorite office snack?

Kait: Popcorn. There’s a popcorn machine in the snack area and sometimes we’ll all get an email where the subject line is just “Popcorn.” The first time I was in a meeting and things went well, I walked out of the room and immediately smelled all the buttery goodness.

HC: What’s the best thing on your desk?

Kait: The severed head of Olaf from Frozen. (It’s just a big stuffed animal.)

HC: What’s your favorite thing about your internship?

Kait: The freedom. As long as I get my work done, office hours are super flexible for everyone. A lot of the time, when I get there a little after 8:30 (when we open), nobody’s there, and they aren’t there until 9. I can take my time to get centered and recalibrate so I can churn out some quality written content. Sometimes I’ll go walk a lap around the building. Sometimes I’ll eat a bowl of soup at my desk and watch Netflix.

HC: And the hardest part of your internship?

Kait: The freedom. I’m teaching myself strategies to stay motivated. And it’s always harder than I’ll expect. Sometimes I’ll go walk a lap around the building. Sometimes I’ll eat a bowl of soup at my desk and watch Netflix. (I’m sure this will change once I have a really tight deadline.)

HC: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Kait: I want to be writing and creating still. Probably in an ad capacity. Maybe in a bloggy, booky, or songy capacity. Hopefully in many ways at the same time. I think my job as a human is to create things.

Want to be a featured Workin’ Woman? Contact us.

Senior at Butler University, studying marketing. Occasional writer, constant manager of all Butler HC social media. Lover of birds, feminism, and good music. You can probably find me crying over a Tiny Kitchen video or laughing at a Vine compliation. 
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.