This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

I describe and define myself as an optimist. I try my best to be a source of encouragement for my friends and family and to keep a positive outlook on life.

I will go to great lengths to make people feel better, and it bothers me when I’m unable.

Almost all of the time, I’m there to rehabilitate other people’s spirits with a hug. (Or without one, I know some people aren’t huggers.)

I will say, though, sometimes I’m not always feeling happy and at 100%. When I don’t, I feel guilty that I’m unable to give people more energy. I sometimes feel like other people look to me for positive encouragement, and I owe it to them to be able to give it out all the time, no matter how I’m feeling.

Even if sometimes there isn’t anything wrong and my mood is just kind of off, I’m constantly looking to make myself feel better so I can make other people feel better. Sometimes, the solution to recharging isn’t simple.

However, I’ve come to realize that my friends understand when I’m not feeling up to my normal self. Sometimes they don’t even notice when I’m not at 100%. I still seem like my normal self even when I’m not giving hugs and screaming encouraging words at people. Good friends depend on you, but don’t build up a dependency on you.

You can be an optimist and not always be happy, just like you can be a pessimist and not always be sad. And sometimes you put more pressure on yourself than other people do, because only you analyze yourself that much.

And remember, your friends love you no matter how you’re feeling.

Kait Wilbur is an aggressively optimistic individual obsessed with sitcoms, indie music, and pop culture in general. She hails from Manito, a rural wasteland in Illinois so small and devoid of life that she took up writing to amuse herself. Kait goes to Butler University to prepare for a career in advertising, but all she really wants to do is talk about TV for a living. You can find her at any given moment with her earbuds in pretending to do homework but actually looking at surrealist memes.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.