Style > Beauty

My New Holy Grails: Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C Serum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

I’ve been a big skin care gal for what feels like forever now, but my skin just doesn’t seem to like a lot of products that I’ve tried out over the years—which means I’ve had to be very patient and persevering in my journey of wanting better skin. 

I know that everyone’s skin reacts differently to different products and ingredients, so I’m definitely not qualified in any way to say that these products are for everyone. I have combination skin, where some parts of my face (my t-zone especially) can get really oily, and I have other areas on my skin that are very dry, sometimes so dry that my skin will get flaky. It’s rough, I know. But I think I’ve finally found my holy grails: hyaluronic acid serum and vitamin C serum. 

Hyaluronic acid serum provides a more hydrated and moisturized look, which is what I had been needing. After trying cold-pressed, natural oils and a multitude of other acids, hyaluronic acid serum seemed to do the job all while not making me break out so much. It also reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines over time, but I haven’t been using it for a long enough time to notice any differences in that aspect. It’s lightweight and gentle, so it’s very compatible with most skin types. However, it’s important to note that hyaluronic acid can be drying if you live in a dry climate because it can result in absorbing moisture from your face rather than from the air. With any type of acid, it’s important to do your research to see what would work best for you.

I’ve also been pairing vitamin c serum with hyaluronic acid serum. Like hyaluronic acid, vitamin c serum helps to even out skin tone and gives a brighter complexion by boosting collagen production. There’s not many cons to it except that it’s important to take the time to find a concentration that works best for your skin because skin irritation may occur if too much of a strong serum is used, and this type of serum can be a little pricey. Many experts recommend starting off in small amounts and not using it every day, which is what I’ve been doing.

Like I said, I’m no professional. I’m just sharing what products have been working well for me in my skin care journey, and hopefully one of these products can become your holy grail too. 

Kiran Brar

Butler '22

Currently a sophomore at Butler University studying strategic communication. Love a good sunset. Frequently asking people for song recommendations.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.