This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

This is an open letter to anyone who’s ever struggled to love themselves. I know how hard it can be and how much life can take us away from the things that truly matter. It’s hard to love yourself when most of us are the antithesis of what’s is “supposed” to be loved by the media but you’re worth it. To whoever needs to hear this right now, you’re worth being loved, respected, appreciated, and cared about. You’re worth it.

The things that we see in magazines and in photos are touched up, airbrushed, facetuned lies. They tell us about what’s not real and what’s simply unachievable. You’re worth more than what you see and what meets the surface. We all have bad days, we all struggle and just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean that it isn’t happening.

We all handle our struggles differently which is part of what makes us beautifully different human beings. Embrace your struggle, be vocal about it, and know that there’s no shame in getting help when you need it. You’ll be okay.

Nancy Acosta

Buffalo '20

Nancy is currently a Junior here at the University at Buffalo and is Campus Correspondent for the UBHC Chapter. She is majoring in Communications with a dual minor in International Trade/Geography and Political Science.