This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Making sure your nails look groomed and clean is an important part of taking care of yourself. The way your nails look can also really impact the way others perceive you and it can also impact your personal hygiene. Here are 5 easy ways to take care of your nails!

1. Press on nails. These are great when you’re in a pinch and need to have your nails done. You can do them in under 10 minutes, there’s no dry time, and you can buy a back at Walmart for under $5. They’ll usually come with either sticky pads to adhere the nails or nail glue, they usually come with a file, and they always come with a variety of nail sizes that work for almost anyone.

2. Get manicures once every two weeks. Most places only charge $8-$10 for a manicure, you don’t need to get nail polish if you don’t want to, and it’s also great for preserving your nail health. 

3. Use cuticle cream. This seems like such a small thing but it can really help you from getting really painful hangnails, it can help strengthen your nail beds, and it can also really help keep your hands from aging prematurely. 

4. Never wear chipped nail polish. It looks unprofessional, creates ragged edges which can pull on clothes and your nail bed, and it can also make you look dirty. They seel very cheap wipes at the drug store for just a few dollars that are presoaked with acetone if you ever need to take off nail polish in a hurry.

5. Keep a nail file in your bag. This imperative because if you break your nail, you don’t want it to snag, pull, and further damage the rest of the nail. Keeping a nail file on is an easy solution that can help you maintain your nail health.

I really hope these tips can help you maintain your nail health and help keep your hands groomed!

Nancy Acosta

Buffalo '20

Nancy is currently a Junior here at the University at Buffalo and is Campus Correspondent for the UBHC Chapter. She is majoring in Communications with a dual minor in International Trade/Geography and Political Science.