This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Adjusting to college life was something that took me longer than I expected. I have always done well in school so I assumed that it would come naturally to me in higher education. My first year of college was the first school year after COVID, which made the transition even harder. My first semester I was all remote and I tended to not attend class and procrastinate on assignments until the very last minute. This trend has followed me into the start of my sophomore year. I have decided this semester I am putting an end to it. 

Before the start of the semester, I got all of my supplies organized. This includes my Google Drive. I went through and organized all of my assignments into folders and got rid of anything that I didn’t need anymore. I also use GoodNotes to take notes for class, so I went through that and added all of the notebooks I needed for my class. I also wrote out my entire schedule and got my planner ready.

During syllabus week I have been very diligent with going to my classes and taking notes. I have paid attention during my classes, resisting the urge to check my text messages that are so easily available on my computer. I have also done a pretty good job of paying attention in my remote classes as well. 

The main thing I have tried to change is my attitude towards school. I look at classes as not something that I have to do, it is something that I want to do and am excited about. Just this slight change in attitude has made classes and this semester so much more enjoyable. One small change that got me on a productive path was making my bed every morning. As simple as it may seem, having a made bed in a cleaner room created an environment where I wanted to complete my work. 

Having a positive attitude and creating a healthier environment both mentally and physically has already made this semester start on a high note and hopefully this will be a change of pace compared to my last few semesters. Change starts with the little things, and hopefully this trend is consistent until the end of the year. 

Isabella is a Junior at University at Buffalo studying History Education and this is her second year in Her Campus. Her many passions include rainy days, reading, and hot coffee.