Griselda Records Putting Buffalo on Hip Hop’s Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

The rap/hip hop group and record label Griselda has brought quite a bit of musical attention to Buffalo, New York.  The group consists of three members: Westside Gunn, Conway Gunn (brothers), and Benny the Butcher (their cousin), who were all raised in Buffalo.  They were founded in 2014 and have utilized their experiences of growing up in the streets of Buffalo to build their brand and write their music.  Griselda formed an official partnership with Jay-Z’s Roc Nation label in 2019, which led to even more fame for the group.

With their rapid popularity growth, two of the members in the group have collaborated with various well-known artists.  It all started when Westside Gunn signed with Eminem and Shady Records.  Westside then proceeded to collaborate with Busta Rhymes, Anderson Peak, Jadakiss, Pete Rock, DJ Premier with Benny, The Alchemist, and MF Doom.  Another claim to fame for Griselda was their three songs, “Dr. Bird’s,” Lucha Bros,” and “Tito’s Back,” which made it onto Jay-Z’s list of “Best Songs of the Year” (2019).  On top of that, Drake made one of Benny the Butcher’s lyrics a caption to his Instagram post!

I find this group very intriguing due to their past experiences and how they incorporate that into their music.  Conway Gunn was shot in the back of the head and neck during a gunfight, which left him paralyzed in the right half of his face.  He also spent some time in jail at the age of twenty-three.  Conway wanted to use his past experiences with violence and living on the streets and tell his story through his songs.  He wants the audience to be in his shoes, and experience what he went through first-hand.  Personally, I think it is insanely smart and beautiful in a way that Conway does this.  Maybe it will help kids who are growing up in the same environment as him to realize that violence and that way of life is not the answer.  Often times children who grow up that way think it is a right of passage to get involved with that lifestyle.  Therefore I think his music may be helpful to other people out there going through a similar situation.

This increasing amount of fame for the group Griselda has brought a lot of attention to the Buffalo area and where Buffalo stands in the rap and hip hop world.  Who knows?  Maybe Buffalo will become the new Chicago or Compton!  Time will tell.

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.