This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Ah, the glory. Finals are over and you look forward to brain-dead activities like watching TV and sleeping (non-stop). But wait, your parents graciously remind you of the fact that you still need an internship. But don’t worry; we’re here to make things a little easier. I was able to meet with Missy Gutkowski, Senior Assistant Director at the CDC, to discuss how you can polish your resume to perfection! Here we go:

Step 1: Realize it’s not about your major

Are you aiming to be an engineer, accountant, or an individual in healthcare? Then you probably have a certain career and academic route you have to stick to. For the rest of us, we shouldn’t focus on our majors, but rather, industries. Be it the Arts, Communications & Entertainment, Finance, Film and Media, Law – figure out what industry you would like to be a part of.

Step 2: Key in to the “dream job”

Do you have a dream job? Or perhaps an interest in a certain career? Research this certain job and note the words in the job description. Find individuals with these careers and see how they have described their work in their LinkedIn profiles.

These “key” words and verbs are what you are going to be using throughout your resume. Let’s pretend that you dream of becoming a financial manager. You research multiple professionals with this title and realize that the word “negotiate” is used often. Now think, what have I “negotiated” in the past? Maybe you hold a position within your sorority in which you had to negotiate with the school for permission to hold an event.

Step 3: Reach out

The word “network” is used quite often so let’s think about this step as “reaching out.” Talk to the people within the industry. See that someone on LinkedIn has your dream job and had your major? Message them and ask, “How did your major help you along your journey?” Afraid to approach a stranger? No worries, that’s completely normal and understandable! Instead, talk to the Bucknell alumni. They are more than happy to discuss with you how their majors have helped them in their respective career pathways.

You have completed your research and have written out all of your past work experiences – now what? Here are some basics about resume-writing:

Length: 1 page (concise)
Margins: 1 inch
Words/Description: Simple and to-the-point

• Use bullet points
  • Action words

I want to stand out – can I get creative with my resume?

There are a few instances in which extreme creativity is appropriate. For example, Missy described a student who created a video game resume (I know – crazy!) This student, however, not only had the skills to create such a phenomenal resume, but also knew that the company he was applying to would appreciate it. If you, too, have the skills to design your resume to such creativity and know that your target company would appreciate it, GO FOR IT! Otherwise…

Stay Basic

• Don’t waste your time on making your resume too gimmicky.
  • Stay away from online template – you don’t want to be using the same resume template as thousands of other applicants.
  • Besides, a certain resume template doesn’t especially overwhelm most recruiters.
  • Instead, focus on the following:
    • Name: make it stand out, especially if your name is common. Make it a different font and size – play with it to make sure they remember your name!
    • Action Words: Didn’t work for Google, IBM, PwC, or Chanel? Doesn’t matter. Maybe the company names won’t impress the eyes of your recruiters but the action words will definitely capture their eye.
      • Action words include: assessed, adapted, established, computed, devised, processed, coached, etc.
    • Skills: What did you do? Capture what you have accomplished but don’t be too elaborative.
      • Ex) Developed X,Y,Z programs to increase drug abuse awareness.

Other things to keep in mind:
1. You never know who is looking at your resume.
A resume is a very subjective document to the eyes that are seeing it. So, think about who might be looking at your resume and do your research! Does your resume fit your target company? Yes, this means that you might have to create multiple variations of your resume so that each is a personal fit for the respective companies.

2. The resume will get you the interview.
It’s like a little photo caption – it provides a summary of who you are but not the full picture. The interview gives the recruiters even more insight as to who you are as a candidate.

3. There is no such thing as a “joke” major.
Your parents or peers roll their eyes when you say your majoring in X, Y, or Z? Don’t listen to them. Your major literally takes up ONE LINE of your whole entire resume. What the recruiter is more interested in are the experiences you have encountered. It’s all about your experiences.

Finally, take advantage of your resources! Write out your resume and bring it into the CDC for help! Gain access to the Alumni Directory! How? Follow the directions below and contact the CDC for more information.

1. Read Alumni Directory Use to learn about the Bucknell Community and suggestions for best ways to approach and build relationships with alumni.
  2. Take the online quiz (8 out of 10 is passing)– http://www.bucknell.edu/script…
  3. Send a sample email (b-linkstudent@bucknell.edu) and leave a sample voicemail (577-7437) as directed once you complete the quiz. (Hint – some students have found it easier to use these voice mail and email scripts to get them started.)
  4. In about 1 week, you will be notified by our staff of your results, pending your successful completion of the quiz and required steps you will be granted access to the Alumni Directory in B-Link.

Bucknell CDC Information:

Location: Botany Building
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:30AM – 4:30PM
Contact:
Email: cdc@bucknell.edu
Phone: 570.577.1238

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com