Your BU-ID Can Help You Get Discounts at Your Favorite Places

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Many of your favorite stores that you shop at all the time have special discounts that you may not even be aware of. One of the most popular discounts, the student discount, is not usually publicized, which is why most of us are not even aware that they have this special offer. Not only does the student discount work for your favorite clothing stores, but also works for food, technology, transportation and theatres. However, not only does the BU-ID help you to save money on your purchases, but there are also a few of our favorite stores out there that have great deals just by signing up for their free membership, or just by knowing how they work.

Let me walk you through stores with the student discount:

Clothing Stores:

• ASOS: 10% OFF
  • Banana Republic: 15% off full priced items
  • Club Monaco: 20% off full price and sale price items
  • J. Crew: 15% off full price and sale price items
  • Madewell: 15% off full price and sale price items
  • Charlotte Russe: 10% off full price items
  • Ralph Lauren Rugby: 15% off
  • Urban Outfitters: 10% off (on selected dates only)

Food:

• Burger King: 10% off , varies by location
  • Chick-fil-A:  You can get a free small drink to accompany your meal when you show your ID.
  • Chipotle: Offers a free small drink with your meal
  • Dairy Queen:  10% discount varies by location.
  • McDonalds:  A McFlurry or burger comes with a 10% discount
  • Subway: 10% discount

Technology:

• Amazon: It is especially important to take advantage of your student discount when you are ordering books! Students can get a 6 months trial of Amazon Prime, which offers a FREE 2 day shipping on all Amazon items and a $10.00 Credit when you tell a friend!
  • Apple: Students can get a 8% discount online and in stores, plus, they can save up to $200 dollars on a MacBook or $30 on iPads.
  • RadioShack: 10% off
  • Sony: 10% off

Transportation:

• Amtrak: If you sign up for a Student Advantage Card, you get 10% off
  • ShortLine/Coach USA: There are multiple discounts for students traveling to or from selected schools listed on the webpage.

Not all the stores carry the student discount, but there are plenty of other stores that allow you to save TONS just by collecting their coupons or signing up for memberships that are FREE. It is important to realize that holding on to those annoying coupons, or keeping those emails actually saves you a ton of money on your everyday expenses on stores like:

•  CVS: Simply give them your number, get the APP, sign up for a free CVS savings card and you save a lot of money! Also keep the coupons.. it actually helps!
  • Target: Just by signing up online, and showing them the email you save money!
  • Michael’s: Before you make any purchase at Michaels, literally just go on to their website just on your phone and you get various deals.
  • Sephora: If you sign up for their free membership, every time you make any purchase, you earn points. Once you get up to a certain amount of points, you get free goodies. There are also many other perks!
  • Bloomingdales: Sign up for their free rewards card and save money, this one is worth it!

It is hard to pay attention to small discounts when you are in a rush, but just by being aware that there are discounts everywhere, and bringing your school ID, it will help you save money in the long run.  

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com