This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

If you like reading, you may find it challenging to keep up your hobby during school semesters when you already expend so much mental energy reading and doing work for your actual classes. The good thing is, in the Young Adult “YA” and Children’s Literature genre, there are tons of stories that are easy reads with a lot of heart. If you want some YA book recs that will keep you reading and are high quality for any age group, look no further:

1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The story of Starr, a teenage girl who loses her friend to an act of police brutality. Throughout the story she goes through an emotional journey by confronting racist friends and power structures, and finding a way to use her voice to create change. Not only is it completely inspiring and an important read for the time we’re living in, but it’s entertaining and heartfelt too. It may be labeled YA, but everyone should read this book.

2. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

An adorable book about Bryce and Julie who are neighbors that never seem to be on the same page. The story is told in alternating perspectives, and follows the kids from childhood to their early teen years. The book is as funny as it is charming, and is perfect for anyone looking for a feel good read.

3. The Crossover by Kwame Alexander

The perfect book for anyone who is a fan of poetry, rap, or basketball. The story is told entirely in verse and follows 12-year-old Josh as he learns to navigate complex familial issues as well as relatable middle school ones. He and his twin brother, JB, begin to come of age together in this heartfelt Newberry winner. 

4. Play me Backwards by Adam Selzer

A quirky read that follows Leon, a slacker who is about to graduate from high school. To get his life back on track, he follows seemingly random tasks given to him by his best friend Stan (who considers himself Satan). He ends up searching for an elusive slushie, listening to a Moby Dick audiobook, starting a protest, and more. Leon’s journey is hilarious and relatable, so if the bizarre premise seems at all intriguing, this will be a great read.

5. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Partially based on Alexie’s own experiences growing up on the Spokane Indian reservation, this book follows Junior, a Native American teenager who decides to commute off the reservation to a predominantly white high school. The book is funny and filled with cartoons, but also deals with important and heavy topics. It is a must read for anyone who has ever been through a first day of high school.

6. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

A mysterious story about Miranda, a sixth grader who doesn’t know how to deal with the weird stuff that started happening in her life. Her best friend abruptly stops speaking to her, she begins receiving strange notes, and a new kid randomly starts an altercation that changes her life. Miranda is thrown into a mystery she has to solve, while also figuring out how to navigate life as a kid in New York City. The story has fun science fiction elements, but is also very down to earth.

Hi, I'm Liz Lagerback, a senior at Bucknell University who is loves to read and write! I'm majoring in Psychology and English, and am from Chanhassen, Minnesota.
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell