This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

COVID-19 has taken our beloved fall break from Bucknell students, a time where we are usually able to temporarily rest and recover from the stressful aspects of college. Undoubtedly because of this, college students are feeling the gradual, yet very real effects of burn-out. We have to set aside time to take care of our mental health and studies suggest that meditation may fend off stress and ease general anxiety disorder symptoms, especially after an extended period of consistent meditation.

Despite its Buddhist origins, meditation has shifted into a secular practice that can be used outside of religious contexts. Meditation is by no means a scientifically proven cure-all for mental health issues, but it’s a simple and healthy way to decompress your mind at any time of the day.

What do I need in order to meditate?

All you need to meditate is yourself and a quiet space! Meditation is traditionally done on the floor in a cross-legged seated position. You can sit directly on the floor or on any pillow to get comfortable. If you are looking to invest in a meditation pillow, there are a large variety of options for sale online. Anything works! The beautiful thing about meditation is that it really doesn’t require any equipment other than your mind.

How do I meditate?

While there is no right or wrong way to meditate, there are various types of meditation practices and you may like some meditation practices more than others. You can meditate on your own or opt for a guided meditation that can be found on YouTube, Spotify, or a variety of apps on the app store. You can meditate for as long or as little as you want! Two methods of non-religious meditations you can start out with are mindfulness meditation and focused meditation.

Mindfulness meditation is a popular meditation method where you pay attention to the thoughts that arise in your mind without judging them. The goal is to clear your mind, but not be upset if your thoughts persist throughout the meditation. Just let the thoughts come and go, like clouds.

Focus meditation uses concentration on breath or an object, such as a candle flame or a crystal, to bring your focus to the object in front of you rather than the thoughts inside of your head.

Overall, you really can’t go wrong when choosing a method of meditation. Getting into meditation can feel a little daunting at first, but even just meditating for five minutes a day can provide you with five minutes of calmness that you wouldn’t have had otherwise.

Happy meditating!

Allison is a proud plant mama with a love for healthy eats and her dog, Rex!
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell