This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As an adult, the idea of keeping a diary can seem kind of childish. It’s usually assumed that girls keep diaries at a young age to write about their crush, talk about their friends, and just have a place to put their thoughts. 

However, as an adult, a diary is a very private and personal tool that has several benefits. By writing in a diary, you are able to keep your thoughts and feelings all in one place. You’re also able to keep track of important times in your life. This is helpful to look back on in the future, whether that’s in a few weeks or a few years. 

Personally, I write in a diary so that I can look back in the future on all of the things I did in my past. In order to not forget all the people I’ve met, places I’ve been to, and emotions I’ve felt, I’ll write in my diary to reflect on those times. It even has helped my style of writing as well as my penmanship. 

So you may ask yourself, “How can I start my own diary?” 

If you’re interested in starting to write a diary, here are a few helpful tips to get started: 

1. Set a time to write. 

There’s no time limit to when you should write or how much you should write. However, in order to have a continuous writing schedule, it would be helpful to set aside time to write. By doing so, you can keep writing a priority in your life. 

2. Give each entry a title and date. 

Every time you write, it should be memorable. Giving each entry a title can distinguish one entry from another. This can sometimes be a difficult task. I even have hard times thinking about what I should title my entries. Creative titles are always the goal, but by simply titling it by what you plan to talk about is just as great. Adding the date of when you are writing the entry will be much appreciated in the future. 

3. Don’t worry. Just Write. 

A diary is a place where you can be the most creative version of yourself. Don’t stress about the content! Most likely, you are never going to read your diary to anyone or release it on the internet for everyone to see. As college students, we tend to be focused on technicality when it comes to writing. With a personal diary, you don’t necessarily need to be focused on “being professional.” That’s the beauty of keeping a diary because you can write about whatever you’d like and no one is there to critique you. So have some fun with it! 

At the end of the day, a diary has no age restrictions or limits. Let your creativity flow throughout your writing and soon enough, you’ll be looking back on a diary full of countless thoughts and memories!

Madi is a senior Markets, Innovation, & Design major from Danville, Pennsylvania who intends to pursue a career in public relations/social media marketing. In her free time, you'll find Madi journaling, watching Gilmore Girls, or creating art in some way.
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell