Why Diet Articles Aren’t Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

While I appreciate that the Internet is a magical and wonderful place full of information that can be used for good, I swear if I read or see one more person post an article about how to lose weight, I’ll scream. Let’s be serious. You read the article, thought about it, maybe repinned it to your “Fitness,” “Gettin’ Fit” or “Girl look at that body” board on Pinterest… and then promptly forgot about it.  That happens every time. Or maybe, you know, you think like, “Yeah! I can totally do this! I’m just gonna, you know, only eat salad. Perfect. I’ll do it. No sweets, no chips, nothing. Just vegetables.” Excellent plan.

So, you head to the Bison to get your delicious salad. Not only do pay $7 dollars for a handful of lettuce and a tasteless grilled chicken breast, but you also have to pass the candy, the ice cream, the Mexican station, and all the delicious fried food along the way. “Oh, well, you know, maybe I’ll just have one of my friend’s fries. Just one. It’s fine.” But let’s be honest, if you’re day 3 in this new “diet” you’re screwed. The second that delicious fatty potato hits your taste buds, you’re on a rampage. You throw your salad away and go order everything from the grill. It’s okay. We’ve all been there.

You see, this is why these articles are basically the devil. You kill yourself over what you eat so much that it can’t be enjoyable at all. While I think you should absolutely pay attention to what you’re putting in your mouth, you shouldn’t obsess over it. Food is fuel, not your new obsession. And eating healthy doesn’t have to suck. So you over there, put down the celery that you hate just because you think it has negative calories (that has been disproven, by the way), stop eating cottage cheese because you think it’s good for you (only in small amounts), and stop beating yourself up for eating a cookie (hey, it had raisins in it! That’s FRUIT.) You’re in college. Not to say that these years aren’t important but, you have to realize that every diet article strictly says that only certain drinks can be consumed. Oh, you hate the taste of vodka soda?

Well…guess you’re gonna be sober for a while! You know what’s not fun? Being the sober one and asking anyone if they have tonic for your Vlady. You’re a buzzkill.

You wanna know the real secret to being healthy? Have a healthy relationship with food. Recognize it for what it is and indulge a little. There are healthy options that still taste delicious you just have to be willing to try them—like the new quinoa station! You are all beautiful wonderful women, you need to realize that food cannot and should not rule your lives.

If you’re worried about your diet or your relationship with food, we are lucky enough to have a registered nutritionist on campus. Take advantage of these resources while you can. And remember, cake always tastes better than skinny feels.

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!