What We Can Learn from Angelina Jolie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

What is it that defines a woman? Is it the shape of her body, the pitch of her voice, the thoughts in her head? Is there a checklist of what constitutes a woman and what does not? From a biological standpoint, perhaps, but from a contextual, real-life standpoint, these feminine characteristics are more open-ended.

About two years ago, actress and director Angelina Jolie made the difficult decision of undergoing a double mastectomy at the age of 37. Many fans were shocked when they heard the news, confused as to why such a young, healthy woman would choose to have her breasts removed. In a New York Times op-ed in May 2013, Jolie explained that because of a hereditary gene mutation, she held an 87% risk of contracting breast cancer and a 50% chance of contracting ovarian cancer at some point in her life.

Some people may cope with such a diagnosis by adopting an “invincible” mentality, finding it easier to deny any possibility that such a tragic disease could touch their life. Jolie, on the other hand, knew how devastating the loss of a loved one is: she lost her mother, grandmother, and aunt to cancer. For her, it was simply a no-brainer to take whatever preventative measures she could, to sacrifice whatever she could, so that her children would not have to experience the same grief of losing a mother. “My chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87 percent to under 5 percent,” Jolie wrote in the New York Times in 2013, following the procedure. “I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.”

Flash forward two years: just a few weeks ago, Jolie published another op-ed in the New York Times, explaining her latest decision to have her ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed. The effects of this second surgery are more severe: Jolie, now 39, will undergo forced menopause, and will be unable to bear any more children.

Why should we commend Jolie for her choices? She is choosing to be known for what’s in her heart, not for her body parts. She writes, “I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.” Embodying grace, courage, and empathy, Jolie then extends a sense of solidarity to women undergoing the same difficult decision. “I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices.”

So what is it that defines a woman? Jolie is a woman because of her strength. She has done the womanliest thing possible: to accept her femininity despite the organs she now lacks. Her two surgeries have not held her back from pursuing her career in film, spending time with her family, meeting with refugees in over 30 countries, and contributing to humanitarian efforts across the globe. Not having breast tissue, ovaries, or Fallopian tubes doesn’t make her any less female, tenacious, or badass. In her own words, “Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.”

Sources:

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com