What To Do After Your “Dear John” Letter is Signed, Sealed, and Delivered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Going through a breakup seems like the end of existence for a lot of girls; whether it be because you’ve fallen into a routine or you just plain old miss the person, but there are ways to make the experience a little more bearable. Most likely you have a friend sitting by your side expressing that they’ve gone through it before and you will get over it in no time, but let’s be real, this is not exactly the support you are looking for. Besides your friends’ support, there are some tricks that may be the perfect medicine for getting over your ex-beau.

Here are some helpful tips to get through your inevitable grieving period

Tip 1: Cry Me a River: Don’t let anyone steal your thunder. If you want to cry, let it out. Holding in the emotions that come along with a bad breakup just make you feel worse, so let the floodgates open.

Tip 2: Treat Yourself: Don’t let guilt stop you from eating your favorite flavor of ice cream, one or two indulgences isn’t going to stop you from fitting into your favorite pair of skinny jeans.

Tip 3: Exercise: Running on the treadmill or going to an intense spin class can let out some of the built up aggression that you have. This is not only a great stress reliever, but also the next time you see your ex-beau he will be incredibly jealous because of how amazing you look.

Tip 4: Focus: Take on a new project or devote yourself to an old one. Show yourself that there is success after he is not in your life, and he will see how great you are doing without him. It’s true, this is all a game and this is a sure fire way to win it.

Tip 5: Sulk: Who doesn’t love basking in the glory that is sulky music? Here are my top recommendations for sulky songs after a breakup, in no specific order.

1. You Oughta Know, Alanis Morissette
  2. Thank You, Dido
  3. Possibility, Lykke Li
  4. Someone Like You, Adele
  5. Sleep, Azure Ray
  6. Please Send Me Someone to Love, Fiona Apple
  7. Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell
  8. Already Gone, Kelly Clarkson
  9. Bitch, Meredith Brooks
  10. Don’t Speak, No Doubt
  11. Breathe Again, Sara Bareilles
  12. Kiss Me, Sixpence None the Richer

Tip 6: Watch and Learn: Pop some of the great romances into your DVD player and you might just feel a little better about your situation, or just lend a hand to tip number one. Following is a list of films that might just do the trick, again in no specific order.

1. The Notebook
  2. 500 Days of Summer
  3. High Fidelity
  4. Gone with the Wind
  5. Closer
  6. Love Actually
  7. P.S. I Love You
  8. Armageddon
  9. 10 Things I Hate About You
  10. Like Crazy– Predicted to be a future romance/breakup classic, you can catch this movie now in select theatres

So now that you have the tips for a successful breakup, grab a tissue box and let the grieving commence! 

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.