This Week in the News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Catch up on your current events and read about what has been happening in the world this week! 

Navy Yard Shooting

On Monday, September 16, Aaron Alexis opened fire on the Washington Navy Yard, killing 12 people, including the shooter who was gunned down during a police shootout.  This is the deadliest attack since the shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, which killed 13 people and wounded 30 others. As investigators are uncovering new details about the situation and the reasoning behind Alexis’ act of violence, they have determined that this former Navy reservist was suffering with paranoia and other mental issues. Prior to the rampage on Monday morning, Alexis had been to two hospitals but had not exhibited violent or alarming signs and denied having depression or dangerous thoughts. That morning, Alexis used a valid badge to gain entry into the Navy Yard, bringing along with him a sawed off shotgun. The shooting and police shootout overall lasted more than 30 minutes.  Alexis came out of a bathroom and began the rampage on random and innocent victims.  After seizing Alexis’ firearm, investigators discovered phrases that were etched into the shotgun. They read: “Better off this way” and “My elf weapon.”

For more information on this story go to:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/us/navy-yard-shooting-recap/index.html?iref=storysearch

JPMorgan Agrees to Pay $920 Million

JPMorgan Chase, the nation’s biggest bank, has agreed to pay $920 million to American and British supervisors after their trading loss. They have admitted to offenses regarding the settlement of allegations coming from a $6 billion trading loss that occurred more than a year ago. The Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Reserve Board and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the UK Financial Conduct Authority, accused the bank of failure to correctly police the traders in its London office. The fines that JPMorgan agreed to pay are amid the largest ever against a financial institution. The man behind the large transactions, trader Bruno Iksil, has not been charged with any crime but is still speaking with investigators. However, two of his former co-workers are facing criminal charges of trying to cover up the magnitude of the losses.

For More information on this story go to:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/jpmorgan-chase-agrees-to-pay-920-million-in-fines-over-trading-loss/?_r=0

Bodies Discovered in Oklahoma Lake

Highway Patrol Trooper, George Hoyle, using new sonar equipment out on an Oklahoma lake, discovered two submerged cars with six bodies inside. The cars turned out to be a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro and a 1952 Chevrolet, sitting 50 feet from a marina and 12 feet underwater. Police believe the cars have been here for decades. The two cars seem to also match the descriptions of the vehicles in two cases that have remained unsolved for decades. County Sheriff Bruce Peoples revealed that the Camaro might have belonged to 16-year-old Jimmy Williams, a Sayre teenager who disappeared in 1970 with two friends: Thomas Rios and Leah Johnson, both 18. Regarding the other vehicle,  Debbie McManaman, an outside source, said she believes the older car contains the remains of her grandfather, John Alva Porter, who went missing with his sibling and a friend in 1969.  Authorities warn relatives of the supposed victims to prepare to wait years before possible identification is possible. 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/us/oklahoma-lake-bodies/index.html?hpt=us_c1

First Indian American Miss America is Crowned

Nina Davuluri, formerly Miss New York, is the first Indian-American woman to be crowned Miss America. Not only does she have the beauty, Davuluri has the brains, too.  The 24-year-old Fayetteville, New York, native was on the dean’s list and earned the Michigan Merit Award and National Honor Society nods while studying at the University of Michigan. She graduated with a degree in brain behavior and cognitive science. Her father emigrated from India 30 years ago, and Davuluri is looking to follow in his footsteps career-wise as she hopes to become a doctor, as well.  She is also passionate about healthy lifestyles after battling obesity and bulimia when she was younger.  Davuluri’s platform for the competition was “Celebrating Diversity Through Cultural Competency.” Although this was a happy night for Davuluri and Indian Americans, racists took over Twitter to blast the pageant for crowning a woman of Davuluri’s nationality. She was called a Muslim and was criticized by those believing she didn’t deserve the crown. 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/showbiz/miss-america-racist-reactions/index.html

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com