Warmth and Fashion: No Longer a Conundrum this Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s officially November, meaning the time to whip out your cold weather accessories has arrived! That blast of snow on Halloween weekend really got us to thinking about breaking out our winter gear. Combatting snow, sleet, and ice does not always give winter weather the best rep. There is also no need to look bulky and uncomfortable in your layers, cold weather accessories can be fashionable AND keep you warm.
Infinity Scarves
Infinity scarves are all the rage right now. These continuous circles of fabric are perfect for protecting the parts of your body that your coat cannot reach. One of the best things about them is the variety of ways you can wear them. Pull it over your head for a hooded feel, or wrap it multiple times to create a huge bundle to swaddle your chilly neck.

Hats/Headbands
I don’t know about you but I’m so over unattractive winter hats. Our heads are where we lose most of our heat, so it’s really important to keep them warm. One of my new favorite winter accessories is the knit headband that wraps around to cover your ears. For some reason, they look so much cuter than hats and they seem to reduce the static created by hats resulting in the always dreaded “hat hair”. The different styles and colors of headbands make them feminine and more enjoyable than an ordinary hat.

Knee Socks/Boot Socks
It’s not the 90s but knee socks are making a comeback. This may be a short-lived fashion trend for 2011/2012, so stock up while you can. Who doesn’t love bopping around in knee socks, they’re like ankle socks, but better! Even more enticing is the idea of knee socks with boots. Lacy ruffles or frills that peek out over the top of boots can take an outfit from mediocre to trendy.

Fur Vests
Faux fur seems to be sticking around for this winter. Cuddling up in a soft fur vest or warm gloves with faux fur trim sounds like heaven. Faux fur is an effortless add-on to your outfit, but it does make people look twice and question how they too could look as cute as you!

Now do you see that dressing for the cold can be fun too? Embrace the chilly weather with your different trendy looks while staying warm and toasty!

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.