This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The fitness community online is very toxic. It seems like you can’t be healthy unless you start keto or low carb and spend your entire paycheck on a Pelaton bike. However, it can be as easy as making little changes to your daily routine that make you feel happier and healthier. One way to start is walking. It is a form of cardio accessible to many people, even if your fitness level is low. Here are some tips if you think walking is a good start for you.

1. Plan a route

A great way to go about it is to have a set plan so you don’t get lost and you have a goal. When you’re planning a route, start off at places that don’t have a lot of car and foot traffic. If you’re at Bucknell, a great place to walk is near the gym and through the underpass to the mods. It’s a medium sized distance and there are not a lot of other people or cars.

1. Plan a distance

When you first start, a half a mile is a good distance. Increase the distance every week or every two weeks by a half a mile (or by whatever distance is manageable to you). Before you know it, you will get less tired during your runs and be able to go farther than you thought you could.

1. Be prepared

Bring a water bottle along with you for your run. If it’s cold outside, wear a coat, gloves, a hat, and dress warmly. If it’s warm outside, dress coolly and drink lots of water so you don’t get dehydrated.  If you are freezing you might end your walk earlier than you want and the same goes for if it’s really hot. Bring your headphones, your dog or a friend as well so you don’t get bored. If you start walking near cars, bring a reflective jacket.

1. Pick a good time

Do not run in the middle of the day when it’s warm outside. I suggest evenings or early mornings. When it’s cold, midday is probably the perfect time because that is when it’s warmest. Always set yourself up for success! Also pick a time when your schedule is open so you aren’t constantly watching the clock, rushing, or ending runs early.

1. If you can’t walk right now, check out a stationary fitness peddler

If you can’t walk, these are a great option and give a great workout. You place your feet on the pedals and move as if you’re walking but you’re actually sitting. You can even increase resistance. Even if you can walk but you are busy, you can sit at your desk and do this while you are working.

1. Optional: Buy a Fitbit or Apple watch

Your Apple watch or Fitbit will track your steps, distance, and exercises. It’s a fun way to track your progress and see how you’re getting better. This is not a necessity but it can make fitness more fun and sometimes it’s hard to accurately track workouts. You could also use landmarks and signs to track your progress if you don’t want to buy a watch.

Have fun!!!

Hi, I'm Kendall Garnett and I am a senior Biology and Spanish major at Bucknell University. I am also one of two Campus Correspondents/Chapter leaders for HerCampus Bucknell. When I am not busy researching the next big pandemic I like to write culture and entertainment pieces.