Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! As the holidays draw near, angels appear! On Candice and Adriana and Erin and vixens, on glitter and heels and angel wings and a Bieber surprise for Christmas! Yes, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is always a treat. Yet, many of the women on this campus will be cowering behind books as their guy friends excitedly tune in. The one’s who do watch will most likely slip into a deep self-criticizing depression and swear that Ben and Jerry will be their only future loves. I, on the other hand, will be watching every minute, with popcorn (covered in butter) and some hot chocolate. I can already hear you saying, “she’s crazy.” Maybe I am, but since it began, I have marked the VS show as a major part of my holiday season. So why on earth do I love it so much and how can others watch it without having that awful “I hate myself” feeling afterward? Here are some reasons I love it …

The Model’s are Alien Life Forms 

Stop thinking of these models as human, something to aspire to or anything other than genetically (and freakishly) gifted women. You will never be that tan. Your hair will never be as sexily soft. You will never be as skinny as Miranda Kerr (it’s not healthy anyway!). So stop trying to be them. Try to think of them as Avengers, genetically enhanced humans with super powers of seduction and impossibly beautiful hair. In other words, stop comparing yourself to them and the show will become a lot more entertaining! 

It’s a Spectacle that Gets Better (and more absurd) With Each Year 

Last year, Jay Z and Kanye rocked it out alongside Maroon 5 as models strutted up and down the runway. This year, appearances by Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars will accompany a show that boasts a $2.5 million fantasy bra, over 300 pounds of glitter and about one million Swarovski crystals bedazzling the behinds of the world’s finest. If this is Bieber’s way of showcasing his single status, he does so with a bang, boy band dance moves and all, as the models tower over him (does anyone else think he still looks like a baby?). This incredible line-up of musicians amps up the show’s already impossibly high energy. Check out an amazing playlist of the songs that have been performed during the show over the past decade here … http://open.spotify.com/user/victorias_secret/playlist/3MtKk3li2WNMcWvkQkJ5pQ

It’s Unlike Any Other Fashion Show 

New York Fashion Week is a fashion bonanza that most of us will never get to experience. Victoria’s Secret lets us have that experience from the comfort of our couch. We get an all access pass backstage. We see the mania of hairspray, glitter and angel wings. The pink robes and the angels acting silly (models with personalities!). We learn about the models and where they are from; we get to see their nerves. Then, we get a front row seat to not only a fashion show, but a full on concert, complete with pyrotechnics, a-list celebrities and plenty of dancing. Online, there are videos, contests and games to increase the hype before the show, and when it’s all over, you feel like you have gotten a front row seat to an amazing show.

What Bucknellian Doesn’t Love a Themed Party? 

The VS Fashion Show, with all of its glitter, flashing lights, pop music and themes, is just like a Bucknell party. This year’s fashion show is themed out, with different themes delineating the various sections of the show. There are calendar girls, angels in bloom, circus, silver screen angels and of course, PINK.  Put on your party hat because it’s time to celebrate. 

So maybe it’s time, dear collegiates, to start loving the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Throw a viewing party with your friends. Deck out in glitter, sequins and jewels. Pop some champagne, get in your onesie or dress up. Challenge your friends to a Zoolander-esque walk-off (granny panties awarded to the one who has the best signature pose). Whatever you do, stop hating it and be confident in yourself. Take this show for what it is. In the words of Owl City, it’s always a good time!  

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!