Veganism: More than a Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

For those who haven’t heard the buzz from countless social media platforms, veganism is #trending. Millions of people across the world are taking part in this diet that excludes meat, fish, and poultry and avoids the use of animal products and by-products. Veganism has been around for a while, but a popular explosion has hit the world over the past several years; the number of vegans in the U.S. has doubled since 2009. Big city chefs, celebs, and more are aiding the upward trend by publicly displaying the perks of “going green” and creatively finding ways to take the simple diet and make it more exciting. Activist groups like Vegan Outreach and PETA are only growing and spreading the new dietary trend.

The science behind veganism and its impact on the environment go far beyond what many people may consider. Within the last sixty years, an increase in technology has correspondingly boosted pollution and damage to our environment. Global warming is commonly misunderstood to be caused solely by carbon dioxide emissions, such as pollution from cars. Many fail to realize that the process of raising livestock also adds a large percentage of methane to the atmosphere. Therefore, by not eating animal products, we can reduce the effects of global warming.

Environmental awareness is not the sole reason people decide to go vegan. Participating in veganism causes intense health impacts. Because so many foods are restricted (dairy, eggs, meat, fish, etc.), vegans often experience dramatic weight loss. Of course, with the public popularization of veganism, people across the world are slowly creating the equation that vegan= skinny. It should come as no surprise that with the increase in veganism, eating disorders are on the rise as well. Some (although certainly not all) vegans admit that weight loss is their motivation behind adopting the trend.

We are all imperfect; that truth is inevitable. Before deciding to go vegan, you must stop and ask yourself; what is your motivation for doing so? Is it to help our environment? To focus on the impact your daily decisions have on the Earth? Or is it something psychological and unhealthy, an incentive deeper than what you may realize it to be? Take the facts and do with them what you will; only you can dictate the choices you make. Labels are not a priority; get rid of them and be who you want to be. The most important part is to encourage yourself to eat what makes you feel good, not what makes you look good in society’s prying eyes. Peace, love, and veganism (or not, because that’s awesome too).

To read more about environmental impact of veganism, check out these resources: