The Value of Female Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Valentine’s Day- two words that can incite love and joy in some, and disgust and irritation in others. For those who feel the latter towards February 14th, I understand where you’re coming from. Why should there be a day that is solely dedicated to making the single crowd feel #foreveralone? However, Valentine’s Day doesn’t just have to be about the mushy couples out there. It’s about celebrating love in all forms of relationships, including the most important form of all- friendship.In many instances, friendships last longer than romantic relationships. From science journalist Victoria Costello, “there are biochemical reasons for women’s ability to support each other through thick and thin.” Costello explains how women “mirror” other women exceptionally well. Because of estrogen and higher levels of oxytocin (the hormones that bond people together) women feel more in their bodies than men do. This also gives them the ability to sense other’s emotions and respond. As a result of this, female friendships are extraordinarily powerful, and can last a lifetime.

Recently, my grandma Charlotte lost one of these life-long friends, Tina. Her friendship with Tina lasted more years than her marriage, and even longer than she knew her own parents. Special friends like these are not so easy to find. So this Valentine’s day, forget about the fact that you’re single. If you’re in a relationship, then by all means spend time with your bae. Most importantly, celebrate the girl friends in your life, and appreciate their unwavering love and support. Besides, what’s better than watching a cheesy rom-com and sharing a box of chocolates with your best friends?

Tina (Left) and my grandma Charlotte (Right), September 1955

Lexi Katz

Bucknell '20

Writer from Bucknell University
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.