The Ultimate Fall Family Weekend Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As the semester is liiittterraally flying by (how is it the middle of September already??), the countdown to Fall Family Weekend begins. While classes are starting to pick up, workloads are increasing, and the infamous Bucknell plague has been spreading as fast as ever, some of you may be wondering what the heck you’re going to do when your fam comes to Lewisburg for the weekend. Through my years at Bucknell, I’ve compiled a list of some of the best places to hit with your families. From restaurants to shopping to exploring downtown Lewisburg, this ultimate guide will help you plan a memorable weekend with your family.

Restaurants: (food first, obviously)

Family Weekend is the perfect excuse to get off campus and check out that restaurant that you’ve been dying to try. From casual to fancier meals, here’s the low down on some of the hottest restaurants near campus.

The Bull Run Tap House:

A Lewisburg staple, this tavern is a go- to spot for many people. Their Bull Dip (warm blend of spinach, sour cream, cream cheese) with Pitas are TO DIE FOR. Come here for a lively ambiance, great food, sandwiches, burgers, etc.

Brendan’s Towne Tavern:

Another Lewisburg classic- great assortment of sandwiches, soups, burgers, nachos, and bar food. Towne Tavern has a bar, lots of Bucknell spirited décor, and lots of TVs playing sports games as well.

Elizabeth’s American Bistro:

Definitely a more upscale option, this quaint bistro has a very cozy ambiance, accompanied with a full bar and fire place. It has a fresh, seasonal menu that is constantly changing in order to incorporate all of the season’s freshest ingredients.

Fuji Steakhouse:

Located in the Sheetz/Walmart plaza a little further from campus, Fuji Steakhouse is more of a hidden gem- I would equate it to Sushihanna’s lesser known sister. It has a huge variety of sushi, Japanese cuisine, hibachi and some Thai dishes as well. I highly recommend the Gyoza.

Sushihanna:

Located conveniently right on Market Street, Sushihanna is the perfect place to go to satisfy your sushi cravings. It has a wide range of sushi, tempura, and bento boxes, and I’m currently obsessed with their vegetable spring rolls.

Ard’s Farm:

Ard’s farm is another Lewisburg gem, located about 10 minutes from campus. Here you’ll find an adorable farm, farmers market and a farm-to-table restaurant. They have delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner, and even a special brunch served on Sundays until 3PM.

Grams Eatery:

A newer option, Grams is located right in downtown Lewisburg. Grams is known for their breakfast/brunch, but also has amazing tacos and sandwiches. The staff here is super friendly, and they have amazing breakfast dishes from eggs Benedict to fresh avocado Toast.

Siam Restaurant & Bar:

Siam is a delicious Thai restaurant, with a very cozy and causal ambiance. Located right on Market Street, Siam is very popular amongst students, and serves all of the post popular Thai dishes.

Mancini’s Italian Restaurant:

Manicini’s is a popular Italian restaurant right on Market Street, just a few steps away from campus. They’re known for their delicious wood-fired pizza and popular Italian dishes, especially their pastas and salads. They have a cozy dining room with big booths- perfect for a family meal.

Things to Do & Explore:

Shops: These are just a few of my favorite stores- you can’t go wrong when you’re wandering around Market Street. Pop your head in and check out all of these adorable stores.

-Dwellings

-Retrah

-Mercantile

-Bettys

-Threading Love

-Street of Shops

-Daisy Lace Boutique

Explore the Outdoors:

• Shikellamy State Park- a 132-acre Pennsylvania State Park with a variety of hiking trails, bike trails, and a marina. There is also a boat launch, and a beautiful, scenic overlook.
  • Penn’s Cave and Wildlife Park – this place offers both a historic cave and hotel. It’s America’s only all water cavern, and offers a cavern tour by boat, a beautiful farm, and an off-road mountain tour.
  • Canoe Susquehanna- offers guided kayaking and canoeing trips right on the Susquehanna River.

Other things to check out:

Campus Theatre: Campus Theatre is a historic, art deco movie theater that shows classic films as well as first-runs.

Selinsgrove: A cool area to check out, around 20 minutes from campus. Go here for:

• AMC Selinsgrove
  • Downtown Selinsgrove – similar to Lewisburg, with lots of cute shops and restaurants
  • Susquehanna Sports – has really cute mini golf
  • Susquehanna Valley Mall
  • Monroe Marketplace – home of Target, TJ Maxx, Kohls, Starbucks, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Ulta, etc.
Amanda Bullock

Bucknell '20

Bucknell
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell