The Truth About One-Night Stands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

On almost every college campus, it seems like the hook-up culture is the same. No one wants to date each other, but casually hooking up or having sex is okay and often encouraged. One-night stands can be fun and sexy, but they can also lead to someone getting hurt. It’s okay to have fun, as long as you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Positives:

• Hookups can be a great way to experiment to find out what you like and don’t like before you commit to anything. Finding someone who can meet your needs is an essential part of any long-term relationship.
  • Just like in any activity, practice makes you better. You can learn more things about yourself and the opposite sex.
  • Since there are no expectations, you may be likely to be more spontaneous or bold.
  • There are no strings attached, so it’s a simple way to enjoy your sexuality without the emotional mess.
  • If you don’t have time for a boyfriend or don’t want to make the commitment, flings are a convenient (and schedule-efficient) way to take a break from work or school.

Negatives:

• Naturally, after you sleep with someone, your body releases a hormone that makes you want to bond with the guy you are with. So despite your effort for no attachment, it is possible you could fall for the guy or feel disappointed if things only last one night.
  • Casual sex all the time could condition you to fear long-term commitment with a guy, and you could miss out on meeting the right guy for you.
  • This is a big one: drinking. Usually on college campuses, random hookups occur after excessive drinking, since some people tend to be more freethinking after a couple of drinks. If you are looking to go home with someone make sure you do not drink too much, or you could do something you will regret later, and/or end up in a dangerous situation.
  • You should always use protection. However, the more partners you have, the greater the chance for contracting a sexually transmitted disease.
  • The walk of shame – this one is self-explanatory.
  • You might regret your decision the next morning. A study in the United Kingdom at Durham University reported that only 50% of women experienced positive feelings after a one-night stand, as opposed to 80% of men.
  • Jumping into hooking up with someone after a break up can often cause you to dwell on your old relationship and miss its intimacy.

So ladies, enjoy your nights, especially if it’s with that cute boy you’ve been eyeing in the Bison. Just make sure that you are 100% okay with what you are agreeing to do. Weigh the pros and cons that matter most to you before you do anything.

Hope everyone is recovering from House Party, and enjoying their week!

HCXO

Devin is a sophomore at Bucknell University. She is intending to be a Markets, Innovation and Design major in the School of Management, and is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. She can be found giving tours around campus, doing homework on the quad, or dancing in her apartment with her friends. Devin also writes for the HC Bucknell chapter, and loves all things Her Campus! Outside of school and HC, she enjoys playing sports, reading, singing, and trying new foods. In fact, her life motto is "eat dessert first." Devin is very excited to be the Management Intern at HC headquarters in Boston this summer!
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!