Traveling Alone: A Her Campus Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

For many, the thought of traveling solo can induce feelings of stress and intimidation. When you’re on your own, the world suddenly seems to become a lot bigger. Your friends and family aren’t around to direct you, and whether you make it to your final destination (or not) is in your own hands. While you may technically be traveling alone, tons of college students nationwide are doing the same. Here are some tips to help ease your pre-travel butterflies, and prove that traveling alone isn’t such a daunting experience after all.

1. Prepare

Make sure to have all your belongings together well in advance so you can focus on the task of boarding the correct bus/train/plane on time. Last minute scrambling for forgotten items will unnecessarily add to your stress. Make sure to have your ticket out prior to boarding, so that you can get on quickly without holding up a line. Nothing screams “travel-newbie” like frantic digging for a crumpled-up ticket at the bottom of your bag!

2. Settle-in

Now that you’ve boarded and hopefully got dibs on a good seat, relax. You’ve done the hardest part. Take out a good book to read, or listen to music to pass the time. If you have work or studying to do, this is the perfect opportunity to get it done. This is probably the best part about traveling alone—the actual traveling part. Without any distractions, you can focus on enjoying some quality me-time!

3. Stay alert

While you should be taking advantage of the quiet time you have alone, make sure you pay attention to any announcements made by the bus driver/conductor/pilot. If you’re on a bus, the last thing you’d want is to miss your stop while you’re too caught up in listening to music. Don’t be afraid to ask someone questions. If you missed an announcement, or you simply want to make sure you’re doing the right thing, most people are nice enough to give you a straight answer. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Speaking of safety, when traveling alone, it’s important to pay attention to your surroundings.  Make sure to keep a close eye on your personal belongings.

Congratulations! If you followed these tips, you’ve become a travel expert. Now sit back, and enjoy the ride.

Lexi Katz

Bucknell '20

Writer from Bucknell University
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.