Life > Experiences

Things to Do Around The Local Area to Get You In The Holiday Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Being away from home leading up to the holiday season can often be isolating, and it can be difficult to feel the holiday spirit. However, on Bucknell’s campus, in Lewisburg and in surrounding areas, there are plenty of fun activities to get you excited for upcoming events. You can visit local markets, find crafting events, see a holiday themed movie, or participate in various Bucknell traditions! 

Mifflinburg Christmas (Christkindl) Market

This year, the 33rd annual Mifflinburg Christkindl Market will be held from December 8th to December 10th along the main road of Mifflinburg. Admission to the market is free, although donations are encouraged in order to keep the market running! They have a variety of different attractions, such as craft and food vendors, as well as displays, demos, live entertainment and even children’s activities. There will be live reindeer, authentic german treats and cuisine (such as chimney cake or hot mulled wine), and even a woodcarver. Emerge yourself into the town of Mifflinburg by visiting some of their local non profit businesses, such as the Gutelius House Museum, the Mifflinburg Buggy Museum, and even Winterfest at the Elias Center. Truly, there is something for everyone in Mifflinburg this holiday season! 

Bucknell Candlelight Service 

Every year, Bucknell offers a Christmas Candlelight Service that is modeled on the King’s College Christmas Eve Service of Lessons and Carols. It is a beautiful ceremony, with plenty of Christmas carols in the Bucknell Chapel. The lit candles make the experience even more memorable and unforgettable. Tickets are required for this event, which will be happening on December 2, 4, and 6 at 7:30PM. Act fast, as December 4 is already sold out online! 

CAP Center Events 

If staying on Bucknell’s campus is more your speed, there are still plenty of more activities to occupy your time. Bucknell’s CAP center is offering a variety of activities that are both winter and holiday related. On December 3rd specifically, there are DIY clay ornament and hot cocoa events at 7th Street and the makerspace, an ugly sweater contest at 7th street, and even a winter acapella concert by the Offbeats at Bucknell Hall. So many options to feel the holiday spirit! 

Christmas Movies in the Campus Theater

For the next three weekends, the Campus Theater is getting patrons in the Christmas spirit by offering Christmas themed films each Saturday and Sunday at 2pm. On the 3rd and 4th, movie goers can watch the Polar Express or Elf. On the 10th, Santa will be visiting the theater for two hours before the 2pm showing of How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. If you can’t make it on the 10th, the next day offers even more movies, such as A Charlie Brown Christmas or Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas. The final weekend before Christmas, on the 17th and 18th, are showings of Arthur Christmas and even Christmas in Connecticut. Even better, almost every single movie is free of charge! Grab your popcorn and your favorite Christmas sweater and make the most of the Campus Theater’s offerings! 

Knoebels Drive Through Christmas Light Show

Even Knoebels is getting festive this year, with its “Joy Through the Grove.” This drive through Christmas light experiences features magical light displays that bring to life holiday scenes and familiar characters. The showcase begins right near the park’s Impulse roller coaster, and continues throughout the property with over 15 miles of string lights. This fun event runs every night from December 8th to the 31st, from 5:30-9:00 pm, except for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Tickets for this event range from $20-40 depending on the size of your car, and its a great way to celebrate the season with a group of friends or family. 

Kelty is a third-year writer at Bucknell from Wayne, PA