Things I Miss About America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

I love being abroad. It’s the chance of a lifetime, and I’m incredibly lucky to have the experience. But with only a short time left abroad, my mind has been wandering over my return to the States. And I got really excited for America. And American things. So with some help from fellow abroaders and some past abroaders, we bring you:

20 Things to Miss About America:

1. English. For most abroaders, this is the most exciting. After seeing my friend on Fall Break who is studying in France, I now understand. She was practically crying when she saw all the signs in English and was ecstatic that people were speaking English. I can’t wait for good ol’ American accents

2. American networks. ABC, NBC, ABC Family, CW, HULU and TLC–none of these exist abroad and their websites are FORBIDDEN in Europe. Yep, FORBIDDEN. And on that note: American Netflix. Granted there are some great options on the British version currently running on my laptop, but I miss being able to rewatch all the seasons of Pretty Little Liars from one website.

3. THANKSGIVING–I love food … I mean have you read my blog? But anyway, Thanksgiving is near my birthday and I LOVE going home and spending time with the fam, watching football, inevitably burning something, living the American dream doing, you know, typical American things.

4. Being able to text wherever/whenever. You never thought about that did you? Sure, minus the subway or the random mountain, you’ve pretty much got service regardless of where you are and can use your phone whenever and wherever you’d like. My phone is so sad and obsolete unless I stumble upon some free Wi-Fi, aka time to tweet, instagram, facebook, snapchat.

5. American Food: BACON, Chickfila, Chipotle, Dunkin’ Donuts, Mac and Cheese (extra points if it’s Kraft), peanut butter, tatter tots, normal sandwiches, cheetos, twizzlers, kitkats, popcorn, hot dogs. These are things you don’t even want until you CAN’T get them. It’s awful.

6. BEER. Don’t get me wrong. German, Irish, Scottish, British beer it’s all fantastic, but you know what I miss? Yeungling. And that I can buy a 12 pack for about 12 bucks. And that beer in America is served COLD like it should be.

7. Frat parties (not paying for drinks). Paying for drinks gets old REALLY FAST. Is this like a sneak peek into the real world? I don’t like it. Take me away from it. Now.

8. The Caf and the Bison. Sure by May we’re all moaning and groaning about how we’re sick of the caf and the bison (ok I have to admit … this really doesn’t happen to me, I love food remember?) But I have to say, after making my own meals, 3 times a day, 7 days a week, for the past 3 months … I want someone else to make me food. Even if it is the sketchy guy with the moustache who will ask me if I want to take out or stay in.

9. ACE events. My program attempts to organize events and bless their hearts they try! But can’t nobody plan like ACE can plan. Kudos kids.

10. All the good, trashy game shows. Look, I don’t know if I’m smarter than a Fifth Grader, but I understand that show. You know what British show I don’t get: It’s called 8 out of 10 Cats. And sadly, no actual cats show up on the show. What a tease.

11. American Stores. I miss good ol’ fashioned American stores. Like Macys, or CVS or Walmart. Or buying things in bulk–which Europeans do NOT do. At all.

12. American Products. The facewash you love and have depended on for the last 6 years? It doesn’t exist in Europe … yaaay.

13. Technology. Europe seems to be living in the 20th century for certain things. I mean, it’s called wireless internet; heard of it? Oh I’m sorry; I can’t hear you over the sound of the dial-up.

14. Not needing adaptors. I can’t wait to look at an American outlet. Strange I know, but not needing an adapter to charge my computer will be amazing.

15. Water fountains and nalgenes. Maybe it’s just college campuses, but water fountains are a thing in America. You know where they aren’t a thing? Europe. And when you ask someone where you can fill up your water bottle? You turn into the craziest person they’ve ever met. Just getting tap water at a restaurant is the most difficult thing you’ll do all day. And in some countries you don’t know if it’s safe!

16. American toilets, tubs and showers. Our toilets flush by a button or by a pull string, our shower is one square foot and our tub could fit one four-year- old in it and be too small. I want that Jacuzzi tub that’s built for a six-foot-tall man, that toilet that flushes the normal way and that shower with room to sing and dance in with fantastic water pressure.

17. Being 10 minutes away from your dorm. At Bucknell, you’re pretty much 10 minutes away from anything on campus; no bus or train necessary. Not really even a car is necessary, but that is personal choice for some.

18. Not being judged by a host family for your late night ahem activities. Sure when you’re at school your friend may give you crap for coming home at 7 a.m. in the clothes you went out in, but your host mom? I doubt she’ll take that as well.

19. Bucknell Sunsets. Being at a higher latitude means one thing. It gets dark here at 3 p.m. No, I’m not joking. That’s real. And there is just nothing like a sun setting over the quad.

20. Freedom. I mean, come on, ‘Murrica–land of the free. And the crazy, honey boo-boo.

While I miss America, it occurred to me there are a few things I will miss about Europe:

1. The drinking age is 18. Do I really have to say more?

2. The food. Dutch, French, Irish, Italian, Polish, Czech, German, British, Indian, Thai, Moroccan–whatever the type of food, they know how to do it right.

3. Dominos delivers Ben and Jerry’s. You read that right. Last time I checked, American Dominos only gives you a lava cake or cinna sticks. I get phish food with my dominos …

4. Cheap Travel–I traveled to 3 cities for less than $400. Do you know how much a round ticket to New York City is? And that’s in the same country!

5. Accents & Languages. Now we say we just want to hear English, but soon you’ll be sad that a guy speaking Italian or speaking with a British accent is not hitting on you.

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!