This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Mother Nature has been teasing us this past month with glimpses of sunny moments scattered among clouds, biting winds, ice storms, and downpours. Whenever a rare warm day does come to Lewisburg, students rush to the quad to soak up as much sunlight as possible before the inevitable return to gray skies. In the few days following a beautiful Adirondack chair study session, everyone’s mood seems to be uplifted. The thought of, ‘I can actually do this!’ floats in the air and provides motivation for a while—with any luck, until the next sunny day comes to renew the feeling.

There is a universal understanding that a person is likely to be happier when the sun comes out, but what are the scientific reasons behind this phenomenon? 

According to Webmd.com, the sun’s rays increase serotonin levels in our brains, driving out the melatonin that makes us sleepy. A boost in serotonin also means a boost in focus, positivity, and tranquility—all vital characteristics to a student’s lifestyle. In the northeast, we would surely benefit from the school year falling during a time of high sunshine levels; just imagine how productive the people in California probably are! Of course, no one wants to give up carefree summers in favor of happily typing up a lab report. 

Similarly, warm weather has been shown to result in improved memory and “cognitive style,” which is defined as, “a person’s characteristic mode of perceiving, thinking, remembering, and problem solving” in the APA Dictionary of Psychology. In other words, mental health is significantly affected by warmth and sunlight. A study was performed at the University of Michigan which determined that a drastic seasonal shift, such as the one we have recently been experiencing from winter to spring, has a particularly noticeable effect on one’s psyche, so just like the weather forecast, expect some mood swings here and there!

We also associate sun with summer break—a time of better sleep schedules, no papers or equations to worry about, and all-around recuperation from an exhausting year. This subconscious connection does wonders to improve the typically negative mindsets of college students when the sun comes out. It is easy to forget the beauty of the world while surrounded day after day by the same old cold darkness. 

The bottom line here is to take advantage of the occasional sunbursts while being mindful of the risks of too much sun exposure, so be sure to prioritize protecting your skin over getting that perfect tan! Get outside and remind yourself of all the happy, springy things life has to offer. The next time you look at the weather app and it looks like the rain will never stop, remember that summer and happier times are just a calendar flip or two away!

Grace Woodhouse

Bucknell '25

Grace is an intended Sociology and Theatre double major from upstate New York. Her two favorite things are Starbucks and sushi.