Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The “Complicated” Craft of Making the First Move

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Let’s be real for a moment: I am no love guru, but I do know infatuation when I see it. It’s that little rush of butterflies, that glowing aura that encompasses two souls. Lately, I’ve noticed so many people, me being one of them, that vibe with someone in a cute or romantic way and do nothing about it. To put it simply, someone needs to make the first move! Doing that doesn’t have to be that hard, but it really depends on the situation.

In the best circumstances, the person you’re attracted to will make the move on you and you’ll both live happily ever after, but this isn’t usually the case. People can be so confusing and it’s not always simple to gauge how a person is going to behave or respond to actions. Our emotions always go one way or the other, and one of the biggest controllers of our minds is fear (might I say the fear of rejection perhaps?). It’s that gut feeling that holds us back when we want to say something. We can only get over this by taking action. 

Making the first move might take a full analysis of your situation: the setting, the person, the whole thing. You have to map a route to make your way over to the person, then figure out what the best thing is to say, and then follow through. But wait… there’s a much simpler method to solving this puzzle: trust yourself! Think about Taylor Swift, belting her heart out in You Belong With Me and just express yourself. There really is nothing to lose. Even if the person you want doesn’t have the same strength of feelings, they’ll still be extremely admirable of your courage and confidence. 

To help you out, here’s a brief list of situations that could occur and how to make a simple move that could change your life:

• Classroom Setting: Ask them about the homework/assignments or if they ever want to study with you to gauge their initial interest with you (even in just a friendly manner).
  • Party Setting: Eye contact is key with this one. It is all about the look you give them so make it matter. A soft smile will help and make sure you can get close to them while you’re on the dance floor.
  • On a Dating App or Social Media: Slide into the DMs and make a stupid joke or comment about their profile. People love to read things that will make them laugh.

We have to remember that we’re not the only ones who fear rejection or are scared to be the first to talk. There are so many people who need that action reciprocated towards them. Also, it may not sound the best now, but it is much better to go up to a person you’re interested in than to have someone you’re not interested in come up to you. Just know that a simple introduction of yourself can be the game changer. It may take time, but you’ve got this! Making the first move may seem complicated, but it’s not as bad as it seems!

Olivia is a Computer Science major at Bucknell. Aside from her love of the sciences, she has a strong appreciation for the arts, literature, and writing.