Target’s Next Fashion Sensation: Jason Wu for Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.
source: http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2012/01/02/2/192/1922564/ac478bdb43695bc…

Attention all you label hounds out there!  Sunday, February 5th is a big day for us.  The great Jason Wu is debuting his gorgeous line for Target.  Known for his floaty, feminine dresses and for being a favorite of first lady Michelle Obama, Wu’s line has been much anticipated.  It will include dresses, blouses, skirts, shorts, scarves, and handbags. The line incorporates practical colors for winter, like navy and black, as well as pops of brighter colors, like red and yellow.  The complete line can be viewed here: http://www.fashionologie.com/Jason-Wu-Target-Photos-21154506

Having  battled my way through the crowds for clothes by Anna Sui, Liberty of London, and Missoni, I consider myself a seasoned expert on these Target release days.  And for all of you fashionable HC readers out there, I am going to spill my secrets for success.  Use them wisely and best of luck, ladies!

1.  Get there when the store opens.  Now, of course, I learned this lesson the hard way back home in Jersey.  People can turn into crazed maniacs at these releases.  You have to be a little hard core to get in, get what you want, and get out.  Earlier is always better to ensure that the styles and sizes you want are still available.  Because seriously, it sells out faster than you would believe.  You don’t want to be that person that waited a couple days, missed out on the dress you had your heart set on, and had to way overpay for it on e-bay (Which defeats the purpose of getting it cheap at Target in the first place).  Granted, Selinsgrove, PA is not Jersey.  When Missoni for Target was released last semester, a girlfriend and I went to shop the collection the day after it was released because we had been too busy the day before.  And there was still a bunch of stuff.  However, certain sizes were missing that we had wanted.  Therefore, later is ok but to guarantee that you get exactly what you want, go when the store opens.

2.  Speaking of exactly what you want, always go in with a game plan.   Look at the link I put above – this is supposedly every item in the collection.  So, go through and make a list of every item you want and what size you need it in.  That way, once they open the doors and you are in the trenches, you can strike with precision and swipe up the items you need while others are still in the browsing stages.

3.  When in doubt, put it in your cart.  What I mean is, if you are on the fence about an item and want a few minutes to decide, just grab it.  It is far better to put an item back later that you actually didn’t want than to decide you want something and go back to the rack to find that it has sold out.  Now, that being said, try not to be obnoxious.  During the Missoni release in Jersey, two women went in and literally grabbed everything off the racks and shelves they could get their hands on and put it into their cart.  Clearly, they were not going to buy all of this.  Once they had claimed several of everything, they started going through it and gradually putting back things they didn’t actually want.  My mom and everyone else with her were seriously pissed off (which made me glad that I was here to get my Missoni in Selinsgrove).   DO NOT be these people.  We are all fashionistas here.  That is just a faux pas.  So rude.  Follow step 2 (have a game plan) and you will not need to panic and grab things you are not interested in.

4.  Remain calm.  Do not become a crazed maniac.  In relation to the faux pas mentioned in step 3, try not to become hopelessly blinded by the shimmer of a designer label at a low price.   While shopping the Missoni collection, I lost it a bit.  I convinced myself that I needed a full set of Missoni plates.  And some mugs.  And lingerie.  I got home and said to myself, what were you thinking?  Some of this stuff you bought is just ridiculous.  Luckily, I saved my receipt and could return the purchases that were overkill.  Following step 2 will also help with this – get in, get what you want, and get out!

5.  Step five is simple – wake up the next morning, throw on some tights and a cardigan with your new flowy Jason Wu dress, and walk around campus exuding pride and confidence.  If anyone asks, reply, “why yes, this is a real Jason Wu design.”  Know that you are fabulous.

Cameron is a senior at Bucknell University pursuing degrees in English and Theatre. Born and raised in suburban Philadelphia, she is a member of Delta Gamma sorority and recently spent a semester abroad in London (tea and scones galore!). Her favorite things include (but are not limited to) anything with the word "coffee" in it, her two shih tzus, peppermint gum, reality tv, and spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, dancing, staying active, and singing. Her claim to fame? She was a street shoutout on the show "Cash Cab".