*Bolded ingredients indicate ‘Superfood’ status*
BreakfastSuper Kale Smoothie:
Ingredients:1-cup spinach1-cup kale1/3-cup celery5 frozen pineapple chunks½ banana¼-cup coconut water1 T chia seeds
Directions1. Combine the spinach, kale, celery, pineapple, banana, coconut water, and chia seeds in a blender and puree until smooth.2. Add an extra splash of coconut water, depending on your desired consistency.
Tips:1. The Magic Bullet is a great blender for your dorm room. It is very small and easy to wash.2. If you want to increase the thickness of your smoothie, add more chia seeds.
Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal:
Ingredients:1-cup old-fashioned oats2 cups milk½ cup pumpkin puree2 T honey¼ t ground cinnamon
Directions1. Combine oats, milk, pumpkin puree, honey, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir.2. Cook oats on low heat until for about 5-7 minutes. Stir the oats while they cook.
Tips:1. To get more superfoods into your oatmeal, you can also add any combination of the following: flax seeds, almonds, berries, and apples
LunchQuinoa with nuts, cranberries, and spinach
Ingredients:1 cup quinoa2 cups water½ cup sliced almonds¼ sunflower seeds½ dried cranberries2 cups spinachSplash of fresh lemon juicePinch of saltOlive oil
Directions1. Cook quinoa:
- Rinse quinoa in a sieve until the water runs clear
- Transfer to pot
- Add water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Set aside, off the heat for 5 minutes
2. Transfer quinoa to bowl3. Add almonds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, and lemon juice4. Place in the refrigerator until quinoa is completely cool5. Once it is cool, add spinach and olive oil
Ingredients:3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed3 large beets peeled and cubed1 head of kale2 handfuls of arugula1 avocado, diced2 Tbs pine nuts2 Tbs pumpkin seedsOlive oil
Directions:1. Roast the beets and sweet potatoes
- Coat veggies in olive oil
- Spread veggies on a baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes until slightly browned
- Flip veggies when they are halfway cooked
2. Combine cooked beets, cooked sweet potatoes, kale, arugula, avocado, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds in a bowl3. Toss with olive oil