SuperBowl Highlights 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

No matter how much or how little football you watched this season, the Super Bowl is one of the most popular broadcasted events on TV. Therefore, there are some things you should know so you seem (somewhat) in the know.

The Basics

This year, the Philadelphia Eagles won their first Super Bowl against the New England Patriots, 41-33, at the U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The Important Stuff

The one and only Justin Timberlake starred in the halftime show, featuring both classics (Sexy Back) and songs from his new album “Man of the Woods” which released this weekend. Before the game, P!nk sang the national anthem and all people can talk about is what she spit out before her performance.

Game Stuff

What. A. Game. The Eagles star quarterback, Carson Wentz, has been out for over two months, with backup Nick Foles taking over. This did not hinder their playing at all, as the Patriots’ are known for their late game heroics, and the Eagles were able to hold them off. The biggest play of the game came as the first half came to a close: with a 15-12 lead and less than a minute on the clock, Eagles coach Doug Pederson made a gutsy call to go for it on fourth down from the Patriots one yard line. The play only got weirder from there. Eagles Tight End Trey Burton threw a touchdown pass to Foles (yes, the quarterback) which gave the birds a 10 point lead at the half. The Patriots were able to take the lead early in the 4th quarter, but ultimately the Eagles prevailed.

WHAT?!

Big game means big money. Tickets for the game ranged from $3,150 to $66,655, and advertising costs $166,000 per second. So, that 30 second commercial you’re seeing all the tweets about…the company paid five million big ones for you and the rest of the world to see that. Popular commercials included the Doritos Blaze vs Mountain Dew Ice one with Morgan Freeman and Peter Dinklage as well as “Alexa Loses Her Voice.”

Philly Philly

Eagles fans have been called some of the most passionate fans, so it makes sense the city filled the streets included fire, flipped cars, and scaled lamp posts. Philadelphia is not okay.

So, to the birds: congrats. To the pats: you’ve got 5 bowls already; it’s no the end of the world. And to everyone at home: we hope you sat back, relaxed, ate some good food, and enjoyed your last Sunday Night Football for a while!