Super Bowl 2015: What You Need To Know To Sound Intelligent In Front of the Boys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Some people follow football, others do not. For those of you who have not religiously watched every moment since pre-season – there is still hope. Whenever the most important game of the year rolls around, it seems appropriate to sit around with your friends eating nachos and obsessing over the cute puppies in billion-dollar ads. However, no one wants to be the girl who has to ask what teams are playing, so here are some quick things you might want to study up on before you invite people over.

The Really Important Stuff

When? Sunday, Feb. 1. 6:30 PM (E.T.)

Where? University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Arizona)

Channel: NBC

The Teams and Some Background

The two teams playing are the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots. Seattle won the Super Bowl last year, and New England had their last victory in 2005. The Seahawks will be in blue and green, while the Patriots will don a mix of red, white, navy, and silver. 

In order for the Seahawks to make it to the Super Bowl this year, they had to win the NFC Championship, which was played in Seattle, WA against the Green Bay Packers. Bucknell has a solid amount of Packers fans, so this was a very tense game. If you didn’t watch the game, it’s important to note that at half time the score was Seahawks: 0, Packers: 16. The game ended in overtime, with Seattle scoring most of their points in the last few minutes, for a final score of 28-22. Many football fans claimed the game was over by the 3rd quarter. Near the end of the game, the odds of the Seahawks winning was 1 in 100. Basically, you can impress everyone by raving about the amazing comeback and how the Seahawks really are a “second half” team.

Take away point: The Seahawks are scrappy – it’s never too late for them to make a huge comeback.

The Patriots had an easier time clenching a championship spot. They played the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship in Foxbourough, MA. The Patriots played excellently, and confidently ended the game with a score of 45-7. This is a massive win, especially in this type of high-stakes game. Actually, it is the second most lopsided game in AFC Championship history. However, the Patriots were just under investigation for using deflated footballs, which apparently makes them easier to grip. As it turns out, 11 of the 12 footballs were deflated, and New England will likely lose draft picks in the upcoming season. Either way, a 38-point victory is nothing to scoff at.

Take away point: The Patriots won’t let it get close – they got their lead early, and kept the momentum up for a huge victory.

The odds are almost even, depending on the source, so it is expected to be a very close game.

The Players:

Seahawks:

Pete Carroll: Head coach. Chews gum like there is no tomorrow. Seriously – watch him.

Russell Wilson: Quarterback. Number 3. Graduated from University of Wisconsin. Known for being inspirational to his teammates, as well as being involved in community service around the Seattle area. Basically, a total babe.

Richard Sherman: Cornerback. Number 25. Graduated from Stanford. Known for being outspoken – he once described himself as the “best corner in the game.” Although he may not be the most popular guy to non-Seahawks fans, almost everyone finds him entertaining.

Marshawn Lynch: Running back. Number 24. Graduated from University of California, Berkeley. Known primarily for refusing to speak with the press and getting fined for it. His recent “thanks for asking” interview is definitely worth looking up and watching if you haven’t already seen it. It’s also noteworthy that his favorite game-day snack is Skittles.

Patriots:

Bill Belichick: Head coach. He’s known for wearing just a sweatshirt in questionable weather – he actually wore a short-sleeved one during the 2012 AFC Championship… just, wow.

Tom Brady: Quarterback. Number 12. Graduated from University of Michigan. He’s lead the Patriots to the most division titles of any quarterback in the NFL. Also he’s really cute… so there’s that.

Rob Gronkowski: Tight end. Number 87. Graduated from University of Arizona. This guy is huge at a whopping 6’6” and 265 pounds. He’s often referred to as “Gronk,” which somehow seems like a very appropriate name for a man of his size. He’s quite a character. In different interviews, he has said “linemen are sexy,” and that he “likes snuggling.” Seems like a nice guy!

Julian Edelman: Wide Receiver. Number 11. Graduated from Kent State. He has been given various nicknames for being super energetic. Including “Incredelman,” “Minitron,” “The Energizer Bunny,” and his personal favorite, “The Squirrel.” He’s known for being versatile – he primarily plays as a wide receiver, but he has also played various other positions.

Random Facts:

·       These two teams haven’t seen each other in a while. Actually, the last time they played each other was in 2012, and the Seahawks won.

·        Pete Carroll (Seahawks head coach) used to coach for the Patriots … awkward.

·       The Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls and lost 4. The Seahawks have won 1 and and lost 1.

·       The Seahawks are trying to become the first team to repeat as Super Bowl champions since the Patriots did it in the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

·       Katy Perry and Lenny Kravitz will perform the half-time show this year.

·       This is the 49th Super Bowl (XLIX).

This is really just the short version of what there is to know on Super Bowl Sunday. Regardless of your level of interest in the actual game, the occasion itself is always tons of fun (probably because of the tons of food… maybe that’s just me?). So, be sure to put on a jersey and set aside those few hours to take part in the nation’s most watched television broadcast, even if it’s mainly for the cuteness of the Budweiser Clydesdales – we get it. Go Hawks/Pats!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com