Summer Travel Essentials from a Chronic Overpacker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

If someone had told me a year ago that I would be spending my summer horse trekking across Central Asia, I would have told them it was impossible. I mean, I have only been on a bicycle once in the past decade let alone a horse. But, even stronger than my fear of horses is my fear of packing. Choosing what to pack on vacation can seem like an impossible task. Here are a few travel essentials that should definitely make the cut: 

1. Packing Cubes

I will admit it; I am a chronic overpacker. The minute I pull out a suitcase, every pair of shoes feels like an absolute necessity. For all my ladies who think 20 pairs of underwear is the minimum for a week-long trip, waterproof packing cubes are a must. They help to keep your suitcase clutter-free by organizing item types into separate compartments. This also keeps clothes from getting wrinkled or wet in transit. Plus, there will be more room to squeeze in another pair of shoes.

1. A Good Sunscreen

I love the sun as much as the next girl, but good quality sunscreen is non negotiable for all poolside, sightseeing, and horse trekking activities. Babo Botanicals makes an amazing Daily Sheer Mineral Sunscreen that is lightweight, hypoallergenic, reef-safe, and contains amazing ingredients like green tea, avocado, and jojoba oils. I am also a personal fan of the CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion which has SPF 30 and never breaks out my skin. 

1. An Anti-Theft Bag

It’s sad but true–some of the most beautiful travel destinations like Barcelona, Rome, Madrid, and Paris also have the highest rates of pickpockets. Protect yourself and your belongings with an anti-theft purse or backpack. My favorite bag is by Travelon, made from slash proof material and featuring RFID protection and locking zippers to prevent theft. 

1. Outlet Adapter

There is nothing worse than getting to your destination after a long day of travel and realizing that you cannot plug in your phone, laptop, or hair dryer. To avoid unintended time off the grid, buy an outlet adapter. These attach to your current plugs so that they are compatible with foreign wall outlets. Many adapters on Amazon will list the countries that they are compatible in. Other sets, like Apple’s World Travel Kit, contain the plugs necessary for many countries and are perfect for a proper globetrotter. 

1. Travel Scarf 

This one may seem far fetched, but it’s also one of the most versatile items on the list. A lightweight travel scarf can be an absolute lifesaver. It’s perfect for cuddling with on a long flight. Once you get to your destination, you can tie it up as a sarong for a quick beach coverup or use it as a shoulder covering for touring sacred spaces like mosques.

Susie Williams

Bucknell '23

Susie is a junior at Bucknell, majoring in Literary Studies and Russian. She believes in living fearlessly; well, almost fearlessly. Ceiling tiles and basketballs make her nervous. Susie plans to pursue a career in International Law.