Staycations and Weekend Getaways for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As the end of the semester finally reaches our line of sight, it is safe to say that we are all more than excited for the stress and work to come to an end. Although the next two weeks may be bombarded with tests and papers and presentations, knowing that we will soon be able to relax with family and friends over break is the light at the end of the tunnel. Inevitably, people will ask you what your winter break plans are. Even if you don’t have a two-week trip to Hawaii booked, that in no way means you can’t enjoy the benefits of having a “staycation” this break.

Technically, a staycation is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within driving distance, sleeping in their own beds at night. And who doesn’t love sleeping in their own, dearly missed bed every night? Furthermore, studies have shown that even a weekend getaway can promote the same psychological benefits as a week long vacation. Even if you just embark on day trips, winter break is the perfect time to explore new areas and try new things. Read below for some inspiration to spark some ideas of where to spend at least part of your precious vacation time, because often times we don’t need to stray too far from our own back yard to be amazed.

Greater Philadelphia Area

The city of brotherly love has a handful of cute attractions and shows that are worth the visit this holiday season.

New Hope: a lovely, quaint town with multiple boutiques and restaurants that will surely lead to a wonderful day with girlfriends.

Chestnut Hill: a historic and beautiful town that is easy to get to by train from center city. Stroll the top of Germantown Avenue to shop in the array of preppy and cute boutiques and get a great lunch at Cake, an old greenhouse that has been converted to a greenhouse. 

Collingswood and Haddonfield, NJ: both short train rides outside of Philly, which offer charming downtown areas featuring a variety of restaurants, cupcakeries, theaters, boutiques and more.

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square: Longwood Gardens is a must during the holiday season. Its winter wonderland is sure to make your jaw-drop and is always an appealing romantic option for you and your significant other.

Downtown Philadelphia: while you probably know your own city pretty well, there are a ton of additional reasons to explore during the holiday. See Macy’s Christmas Light Show –  a perfect family outing, the Christmas Light Show and Wanamaker Organ Concert at Macy’s is a Philadelphia tradition that dates back more than half a century – or see if you can get tickets to The Nutcracker at The Academy of Music,  or shop the popular German-style Christmas Village at LOVE Park.

Greater San Francisco Area

There’s a reason San Francisco has been trending over the past decade, and its holiday spirit only adds to its appeal.

Christmas tree in Union Square: nothing can beat this tree. Surrounded by many different restaurants, shopping opportunities and Ghirardelli Square, this is a great place to visit if you can make it into SF during the holidays.

Embarcadero Center: home to a giant ice skating rink with views of the Ferry Building and the waterfront during the winter months. Even if your knees may be a bit wobbly on the ice, its definitely worth lacing up a pair of skates and checking it out! 

Crippsmas Place: Crippsmas Place is a cheerful holiday display and charity fundraiser in Fremont. Any other time of year, this unassuming stretch of suburban Fremont wouldn’t necessarily warrant a visit, but it’s definitely worth the trip outside of the city to check out this historic and fun display.

A Christmas Carol in the American Conservatory Theatre: a Christmas classic that appeals to all ages and is a great way for your whole family to get into the city. The play centers around one mans journey through Christmas past, present and future in order for him to find himself.

The Nutcracker at the San Francisco Ballet: premiers on Christmas Eve and is a all-time favorite you don’t want to miss!

Pier 39, Lighted Boat Parade: 60 different lighted ships set sail from Fisherman’s Wharf to Crissy Field.

Golden Gate Bridge: walk along to take pictures by San Francisco’s famous Golden Gate. Stunning views of the bay and the city, however remember your jacket because it tends to get windy.

AT&T Park: home of the San Francisco Giants! A day of hot dogs and great views await you if you decide to go to a Giants game.

Pacific Northwest

While we’re not Oregon experts, word on the street is that the Oregon coast is ripe with places to explore. Beach houses in Manzanita are fairly inexpensive to rent and a perfect idea for a weekend away. Downtown Seattle and Portland also have cute, upscale hotels (with fabulous spas…) and great shopping. Hotels in the San Juan Islands may be cutting it close but hey, it’s an idea if you don’t mind a road trip now and then!

New England

Nantucket: The island most commonly associate with seersucker blazers, pearls, and pink pants is one-of-a-kind during the wintertime, decorated with Christmas trees and lights. Check out Nantucket in its off-season to see it in a whole new light! 

Mystic, CT: In the holiday season, this town is perhaps best known for its lantern light tour where you ride in a horse and carriage and view the lights and lanterns that surround the wharf. This tour is extremely engaging too since it is set on Christmas Eve in 1876 in the form of a play that unfolds through five scenes around the Museum’s 19th-century maritime village.

Greenwich, CT: if you’re looking to do some serious holiday shopping, look no further than “The Avenue.” Lined with high-end shops and delicious restaurants, you will find something for everyone on your list here.

Christmas at the Newport Mansions: step back into a Christmas of the Gilded Age where the mansions are all decked out for the holidays with thousands of poinsettia plants, spectacular evergreens, trees, wreaths, fresh flowers and 19th century-style ornaments.

New York City

Where do we even begin? The city that never sleeps goes into high drive as soon as Thanksgiving ends.

Ice Skate in Rockefeller Center: is it cliché? Absolutely. But you absolutely have to do it at least once in your life.

Holiday Windows: even if you don’t spend a dime, it’s definitely worth strolling around and checking out the amazing window displays in some of the most prominent department stores. They’re essentially works of art!

Christmas Lights and Cannoli Tour: venture over to South Brooklyn where residents trick out their abodes with thousands of twinkly lights and oversize decorations.

Theatre: with hundreds of shows offered any night of the week, its worth seeing what you can get tickets to last minute. The Times Square TKTS booth offers same-day tickets at up to 50% off so you can see some great shows in amazing seats at half the price.

GingerBread Lane: Chef Jon Lovitch spent a year creating the miniature homes in this edible display, using an estimated 500 pounds of gingerbread dough and more than 1,000 pounds of icing. The village currently holds the Guinness World Record as the largest gingerbread exhibit on earth.

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Business administration major with a focus in Global Management at Bucknell University.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com