Spring Cleaning: Dorm Room Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Although our Google calendars now read April and we’ve already had our token spring break, we may not be fully sold on the fact that it is now spring. Maybe the temperamental weather or the barren trees have been confusing us, or maybe we’re just in denial that the school year is almost over. Either way, right now let’s take a moment to accept that spring, in all of its glory, is here. Spring! Spring is great, spring is good, spring is colorful, spring is new, spring is fresh, and spring is clean.

Yup, I said it. Spring is clean. If you’ve never participated in spring cleaning before, you’re seriously missing out. Despite the hassle it involves, spring cleaning is an incredible happening that can work wonders not only on your personal space, but also on your mind, your community, and the environment! It may sound difficult, but it’s not, especially when your space to clean is just one, small dorm room. Sorting through all of your stuff is actually simple if you just take a moment beforehand to determine not what you want to throw away, but what you want to keep. Here’s how:

Your Desk

Keep something if:

1.     It’s a book, material, or tool you are currently using for a class.

2.     You do not have duplicates of it (that is, unless it’s a pencil, pen, or staple).

3.     You feel real, physical pain watching it descend into a trash bag (don’t be lenient with this rule).

Your Closet

Keep something if:

1.     You’ve worn it in the past month.

2.     You can wear it in more than 3 ways with other items in your closet.

3.     You feel real, physical pain watching it descend into a trash bag (still, please don’t be lenient with this rule).

Miscellaneous

Keep something if:

1.     You’ve used it in the past 2 weeks.

2.     Someone else wouldn’t have a much better use for it.

3.     Again: you feel real, physical pain watching it descend into a trash bag.

Then you can just toss everything else! The only catch is that “everything else” cannot practically be “tossed” in one location. Luckily, there are several local donation and recycling centers that will gladly accept your spring cleaning waste. Most likely, you can toss everything in 3 stops or less. Here’s where you can bring your stuff:

Community Aid

What they’re looking for: clothing, accessories, household items, CD’s, DVD’s, books, records, video games, and fully functional electronics

Where you can find them: 1070 N Susquehanna Trail, Selinsgrove, PA 17870

American Red Cross

Where you can find them: 249 Farley Cir, Lewisburg, PA 17837

Goodwill

Where you can find them: 175 International Dr, Lewisburg, PA 17837

Mondragon Bookstore

What they’re looking for: books

Where you can find them: 111 Market St, Lewisburg, PA 17837

Lewisburg Electronics Recycling Facility

What they’re looking for: functional or nonfunctional electronics

Where you can find them: 2400 Robert Miller Dr, Lewisburg, PA 17837

Cole’s Hardware

What they’re looking for: used batteries

Where you can find them: 55 N 2nd St, Lewisburg, PA 17837

As you may find, if you throw on your favorite playlist, spring cleaning can be a blast. Happy spring to you and your brand-spanking clean dorm!