This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

When I hear the words “Spring break,” I immediately turn into Snooki from the Jersey Shore and scream, “Where’s the beach?!”

With the break right around the corner, I’ve been hearing a lot of discussion on campus about travel plans. A lot of students take this as an opportunity to travel to a much warmer destination than Lewisburg, PA in March. 

As someone who has never traveled anywhere except my hometown for spring break, I know that the FOMO can creep in. However, who said you must travel far and wide to have an enjoyable spring break? Let me give you a few things you can do at home to enjoy your time off from school.

1. Cherish Family Time

This first activity is a sentimental one. During the academic year, finding the time to visit family can be difficult. This is especially true if Bucknell is located hours away from your hometown. A week off from school is a great opportunity to spend time with loved ones. You might not get this time again. Take advantage of it!

1. Do Something Out of the Ordinary

I find myself getting into the same old, boring routine each week. I go to class, eat, do homework, work out, shower, go to bed, and do it all again the next day. A break in the middle of the semester is a chance to break up your normal routine. It’s a chance to try something new or pick up a hobby that you put down a long time ago. Read a book for fun. Pick up a guitar and start teaching yourself some chords. Find a new TV show to binge-watch. The possibilities are endless!

1. Prepare for the Summer

I know this may seem like a crazy one, but as fast as spring break has arrived, summer break will be here in no time. This summer looks different for me, a soon-to-be graduate, who will hopefully be employed in a full-time job. For others, this means another summer of working an internship or part-time job to save money. Or it means a summer filled with traveling on vacation. Regardless of what may happen, it could be beneficial to prepare for it whether that’s financially or by simply writing down a list of ideas/bucket list.

1. Treat Yourself!

A break is meant to be a break, so relax! Self-care is super important every day, but I recommend focusing on it a little more over spring break. This looks different for everyone. Maybe it means taking a bubble bath, getting a sweet treat from a bakery, or catching up on sleep. Maybe you’d like to get active by going for a walk outside or dancing around to some good music. As long as you do something that makes you feel good, that’s what matters the most.

Hopefully one or all of these ideas resonated with you. Wherever you go and whatever you intend to do, I hope you enjoy your spring break!

Madi is a senior Markets, Innovation, & Design major from Danville, Pennsylvania who intends to pursue a career in public relations/social media marketing. In her free time, you'll find Madi journaling, watching Gilmore Girls, or creating art in some way.