Showtime’s Shameless Returns: Emmy Rossum’s Last Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

***Fear not! No spoilers here! ***

For all you Shameless fans out there, arguably the best show ever is back to bless our computer screens and TVs with another season. The comedy-drama series premiered its ninth season on Sunday, September 9th. Without the risk of giving away any spoilers, let’s just say that the Gallagher clan is back in full force with classic shenanigans, each character picking up their storyline from where we left off. Recently, main actress Emmy Rossum, aka Fiona Gallagher, announced that season 9 will be her last with the show. Rossum took to Facebook at the end of August to explain how working on the show has been the best eight years of her life. She writes, “The opportunity to play Fiona has been a gift. There are few characters—female or otherwise—as layered and dynamic. She is a mother lion, fierce, flawed and sexually liberated.” She continues, “I know you will continue on without me, for now. There is much more Gallagher story to be told,” implying that there will be more seasons of Shameless, just without her. It will certainly be interesting to see how the show progresses without Fiona’s presence. In real life, Rossum seems to be just as bad-ass as the character she plays. Not only has she gone on to direct many episodes herself, but she even fought her way to be paid the same amount as her male co-lead, William H. Macy, as she had been making less than him for seven seasons.

For now, Fiona Gallagher fans have one more jam-packed season with her. It’s hard to imagine what will happen to the Gallaghers in her absence. Who will hold down the fort? Will Debby fill her shoes? Will Liam become the new man of the house? In the meantime, let’s just hope that Frank doesn’t cause too much trouble this season. (If that’s even possible).

Lexi Katz

Bucknell '20

Writer from Bucknell University