Off to See the World, The Wonderful World of Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As our workload begins to increase, and the temperature starts to decrease, reality strikes that there is only one month left in the fall semester. Where does the time go? It seemed like only yesterday that it was 80 degrees and most Bucknellians could be found lounging on the quad, doing some light reading and chatting with friends. But as the semester comes to a close, it’s impossible not to think about what’s next. For many Bucknell juniors, a plane ride, or maybe a boat ride, is in the near future. And with that thought, the nerves set in. Am I ready to give up a semester on this gorgeous campus, a place I’ve called my home for the last two and a half years?

Going abroad isn’t for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that. Choosing to make the decision to go off to an unfamiliar place is daunting. A new place, new people, new food, a new schedule; it is all completely unknown. Even if you have read every bit of information, seen every picture, and talked to numerous people who went on your program, it is not the same as experiencing it for yourself. For some, this experience of exploring the unknown is exciting, and if it does sound the least bit exciting, I think it’s worth taking a leap of faith.

After considering time away from Bucknell for a semester, you are bound to think about the fun events you will be missing out on. Everyone hates the feeling of FOMO. It makes us feel like we are giving up so much. But you’re really not giving anything up; you’re gaining new experiences and perspectives. You will be making new memories with new friends, and even your current friends that you can plan to meet up with. Plus, this isn’t the last hurrah. There will be another Spring Break, plenty of more Super Saturdays and Basketball Games, and the beautiful cherry blossom tress will bloom again. You’re only taking a break, not saying goodbye. Plus, when you return, you will appreciate Bucknell in the spring even more.

And then comes the tough part, leaving the people you love. Whether it is your significant other, family, or friends you have grown so close to in just two and half years, remember it’s not goodbye; it’s I’ll see you later. Yes, you are going to miss them a lot. It’s inevitable for everyone to feel a little homesick while going abroad, but it’s important to remember that everyone will be here when you get back. Now is the time to be a little selfish, go on an adventure, and make the most of your college experience. Really, when will you ever get this opportunity again? Not to mention all the stories and photos you can share with them while you are away. The Internet is a beautiful thing.

Can you do it? Yes, you can. If studying abroad is something you’ve considered, then I think it is worth looking into options. Weighing the pros and cons is never easy, but even though the decision is tough to make, ultimately going abroad can be an incredibly rewarding experience. The decision is your own decision. Do what is right for you, and maybe I’ll see you in the eastern hemisphere!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com