body images 2020 01 30 image002jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 30 image002jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Schitt’s Creek Is Simply the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Schitt’s Creek at its core is a story about finding love in all its forms, whether it be romantic, familial, through friendship, or learning to love yourself. Its loyal legion of fans hold the show in high regard, but the relationship between David and Patrick is particularly beloved. The adoration for the pairing doesn’t end with the fans––the show has received critical acclaim for its respectful, entertaining, and positive representation of a gay relationship. A year ago, Dan Levy’s cast mates and friends presented him with the Davidson/Valentini Award at the GLAAD Gala San Francisco, an award he said he was honored to receive. It’s also garnered endless praise from A-list celebrities the likes of Elton John and Mariah Carey. Mariah’s praise is especially exciting, as David Rose’s character fanboys over her as an autobiographical nod to Dan Levy’s real-life obsession! There’s no wondering why the sleeper-hit show is so popular. 

Schitt’s Creek is sweet and charming. Variety boasts that it’s “a bright spot of comedy as smart as it is warm,” not to mention relentlessly funny in its own quirky way. The underdog Canadian comedy from Pop TV ended their series run with a triumphant sweep at the Emmys on the evening of September 20th. It was a beautiful, albeit unconventional, moment for the cast of Schitt’s Creek as they handed their awards by attendants in hazmat suits, just another bizarre symptom of the pandemic that almost feels normal now…almost. The remote nature of the ceremony could have easily felt distant and spiritless, but it was impossible not to beam watching the cast celebrate their string of wins. 

The success of Schitt’s Creek made history as the first sitcom to win all four comedy acting categories, on top of winning Outstanding Directing, Writing, and overall Best Comedy Series. Dan Levy––creator, writer, co-producer, and star of the show––was particularly elated as he watched his father take home an Emmy for Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series. Eugene Levy, Dan’s father, co-producer, and seasoned comedy actor, graciously accepted his award with a heartfelt message about Schitt’s Creek existing as a, “celebration of inclusivity, a castigation of homophobia, and the declaration of the power of love.” Did I mention it’s a family affair? Eugene Levy works with his kids Dan and Sarah Levy on this impressive comedy that had its cult following both crying laughing and crying bittersweet tears. 

Another draw to the show for older generations is the reunion of longtime friends and comedy legends Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara, who in my opinion, have some of the most side-splitting moments in the series. If you aren’t already watching this precious Canadian gem of a show, what are you waiting for? In these especially overwhelming times we’re living in, escape to the world of Schitt’s Creek to experience a brighter, more accepting reality than ours. And if you’re a veteran audience member like myself, what better time than now to dive back in all over again? The first five seasons are currently on Netflix and the final season starts streaming on the platform October 7th, 2020. Hurry up and discover (or relive) why Schitt’s Creek is simply the best.

Ellie Hooker

Bucknell '21

Ellie is a senior at Bucknell University. She is a double-major in psychology and geography and a minor in dance, as well as a member of the Bison Girls dance team. She joined Her Campus as a way to feel more involved on campus and to express herself through writing!
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell