Romance Movies Worth Watching One Million Times (That Aren’t The Notebook)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

When Harry Met Sally 

Can men and women ever really be just friends? Over the span of several years, Harry and Sally set out to find the answer to this age-old question. This movie is laugh-out-loud funny and unbearably sweet. Can we all agree that the adorable old coupes talking about falling in love in between scenes is absolutely perfect? From Sally’s restaurant “performance” to the wagon wheel table and of course the New Year’s Eve party that makes even the most cynical human believe in happy endings, this movie will forever be a favorite. Side note:  can I be Meg Ryan, please?

Say Anything

In the midst of this past winter, I found myself spending a lot of time getting into my bed before the sun was even down, texting my mom for movie recommendations and snuggling up with a cup of hot chocolate (extra marshmallows…duh!). This gem appeared on her list of “must-sees,” and suddenly, I was totally smitten with John Cusack. Cute, silly boy meets gorgeous, unattainable girl, they fall in love, father of girl tries to ruin their relationship—a typical boy-meets-girl story that somehow manages to remain totally original and heart-warming. Also, the boom box serenade scene is iconic, and I will never listen to Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” the same way again.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

It seems like girls of our generation either idolize Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn.  I for one am definitely an Audrey fan, especially after her performance as Holly Golightly in this classic film. Holly is feisty, witty, effortlessly chic, and possesses a selfishness that she manages to wear in a very endearing fashion. She’s a wannabe glamour girl who makes us feel like we can relate to her and her trying-to-make-it-in-the-real-world struggles. What begins as a conquest to marry money takes a romantic turn when Paul Varjack comes into her life—and saves her cat. What girl can turn down a guy that saves her kitty? 

Pretty Woman

Let’s face it, only Julia Roberts could make prostitution look that good. So why do I find the “no kissing clients” rule that her character, Vivian, makes for herself so depressing? It makes me feel terrible for her, like she really is in it just for the money, personal pleasure completely aside. Despite the fact that Richard Gere seems sort of uppity and not my type in this movie, I do appreciate his genuine interest in her and his desire to help her turn her life around. Also, HE TAKES HER ON A HUGE SHOPPING SPREE, and I love how she totally gets back at the shop workers who are so rude to her. In a business-deal-turned-romance, Vivian learns to recognize her self worth and to ask for what she needs in a man and out of life, without compromising. Obviously we know she deserves a better life, but watching her pursue that makes me feel super proud of her…yes, I’m proud of a fictional character!

Dirty Dancing 

First, what if your name was Baby, or at least that’s what everyone referred to you as? Seriously, take a moment to think about it. While on a vacation with her wealthy family, Baby takes up dancing with Johnny, the resort’s dance instructor (aka Patrick Swayze) and fills in for his partner, Penny, while she is out “sick.” During this pivotal summer, Baby challenges her innocence and faces real life issues that go far beyond mastering the final move of her performance (the infamous jump!). You’ll definitely want to go out dancing after this one, and next time you hear “Time of my Life,” you won’t be able to resist busting out the dance moves!

13 Going On 30

ALL-TIME FAVORITE MOVIE EVER! Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo make such a cute couple, and the premise is adorable in a break-your-heart kind of way. Jenna Rink (Garner), is miserable because she’s not a “six chick” (typical middle school girl clique…ugh) and she just wants to be a grown up. When she wakes up from a meltdown as a 30-year-old with a somewhat together life, she’s shocked and excited until she learns that she’s not the person she hoped to be. This soundtrack is perfect (Jessie’s GirlLove is a Battlefield AND Thriller! Plus, the Billy Joel song that always makes me tear up…) and the plot makes you appreciate being a kid, as well as taking your time with growing up. Buy yourself a pack of Razzles and watch this movie at least three consecutive times. 

There are a million more memorable, tear-invoking, heart-warming romance movies out there, so grab your girlfriends and some popcorn and start watching!

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com