Put Your Heart Before Your Head

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Every day, every minute, we are faced with the need to make a decision, a conclusion, a choice. Whether it’s tea or coffee, studying in 7th Street or the library, or going out on Wednesday night (you weren’t going to be awake in your Thursday 8 a.m. anyway), you consciously, or even subconsciously, make a decision. And further, you are expected to make a choice when it pertains to major, future careers, internships, or even Greek life. Regardless of the degree of your decision, your conclusion is molded through the use of your brain, your heart, or dare I argue, the use of both.

The process of forming conclusions is thrilling, nauseating, confusing, and exciting. As humans, we are innately drawn to the ecstasy of the unknown. All of these emotions cumulate when creating a decision, which plays a huge role in the outcome of our choices. The very nature of the “unknown,” however, leaves us to hesitate when making these choices because we are constantly reminded—by our parents, our professors, our friends, ourselves—that there are repercussions for every decision. The impact of our repercussions is the explanation for why it takes us so long to make important decisions.

Decisions are weighted. What my major will be is more important than what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow. Because our decisions are life altering, scientists argue that we must use both our brains and hearts. While HeartMath, a non-profit organization, argues, “The big decisions take much more intellectual thought, clarity, and focus,” Stanford University Professor Baba Shiv has recently challenged the organization’s assertions. Shiv argues, “Harnessing the power of emotions is critical.”

Based off of Shiv’s observations, we must analyze our options. The ultimate decision, however, comes down to our internal emotions. Our emotions are there to guide us. This is why we should focus on our gut feelings rather than thinking about the facts. We have learned to put our feelings aside for the sake of analytical reasoning. However, Shiv suggests that while it is important to focus in on the decision at hand, we must ultimately follow our heart in terms of “harnessing the power.”

As Bucknell students, we are expected to reach a certain level of success. These expectations can often lead us to make wrong decisions. When choosing a major, we need to make a decision not based off of the mainstream choices or potential monetary gains associated with said major. When choosing an internship, we need to consider how this will help us not only find a job but how it will also help us grow as students and as individuals. When choosing a sorority, we need to reflect less on reputation and more on the girls we will call sisters.

That gut feeling, those butterflies in your stomach; those are your body’s indications that you should reevaluate that relationship or that important decision. Scientifically proven, the heart sends out 60 times more electrical activity than our brains. We have to reconsider why and how we are making decisions. By overanalyzing the decision, we often mask or obscure the emotional drive behind our choice. However, due to our analytic nature and our desire for routine, following our hearts can be difficult. The only way to strengthen our inner trust muscle is time and practice. Initially you will feel resistance—that is okay. Learn to push aside the factual evidence, learn to mute the opinions of friends and family, even if your decision goes against them. Coming into contact with the very many realities of life will allow you to use your heart, which, to most of us, can be viewed as a new language. Immerse yourself fully, and you will become fluent in using your heart.

Do not isolate these organs; do not disregard your brain or your heart. Rather, combine these two machines. The beautiful harmony between your heart and your head will lead you to the right decision. Take it from Steve Jobs, “You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

Interested in learning more? Check out:

·      http://www.heartmath.com/science-behind-emwave/

·      http://www.kantola.com/Baba-Shiv-PDPD-365-S.aspx

·      http://heartmastery.com/about-us/heart-facts

Bucknell University 2018
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com