Pretty Poser: How to Dress for a Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Ever feeling adventurous with your style and want to ditch your look that you’re getting tired of? Sometimes it’s easy to make that change from one style sense to another, but when you’re going from preppy to grungy, you may be looking like you’re dressing for a theme party instead of changing up your look. Read these easy ways to be a “pretty poser” and change up your style in the perfect way. 

Grunge

The grunge look is a bit hard to transition into, especially if your style is more of a classic and clean look. What the grunge look calls for, however, is not to look completely like a homeless person; instead, it calls for dressing casually with a bit of an edge. The perfect look for a grungy poser should include a flannel or an edgy, but cute graphic tee. A pair of ripped jean shorts (high waisted for an extra bonus) would pull the whole outfit together, along with some mid-high boots.   A minimal amount of color is the key to any grunge girl’s look. 

Preppy Chic

No, do not start doubling up your Lacoste polos and pop the collar, the preppy chic look is a classic style that does not need to be overdone with pearls, bows, and Lilly Pulitzer. J. Crew is the perfect inspiration for any girl who is looking to add this clean and classic look to their wardrobe, with their cute sweaters and sophisticated tops. Stripes, polka dots and other patterns may seem daunting at first but they will add the perfect and girly touch to your outfit. What is very in for the preppy look is menswear looking items, such as blazers and oversized sweaters. Add a brown or black oversized bag and a statement jewelry piece to pull the look together and you’re ready to call yourself a prepster. 

Bohemian

Again, if you’re looking to try the boho-chic look, it’s not the time to put on your flower headband and start wearing a peace sign t-shirt. Instead, mix patterns and colors to look cute because being slightly disheveled and carefree is the way to go. Layering your items is key, while loading on the accessories such as chunky bracelets and rings will compliment your outfit and bring to it a modern feel. Instead of becoming a fashion blast from the past and resembling Janis Joplin, bring your bohemian-chic into a more modern realm by mixing in a modern piece such as a cute jacket or top. A brown cross body bag and strappy sandals create that perfect, comfortable feel. 

Vintage

If you want some vintage fashion inspiration, look no further than the queen of vintage style herself, model/actress Chloe Sevigny. Sevigny has been pulling off the vintage look for years. Sevigny flawlessly mixes menswear pieces with statement vintage accessories, such as hats and retro sunglasses. Her minimalist look makes it clear that Sevigny is not trying too hard to complete the vintage fashion, and her mix of flower patterns and solid pieces gives a whole new meaning to the vintage look.  Try a bustier dress with a retro pattern if you’re looking to start your vintage style on a night out! 

Hopefully, this array ideas and inspirations can help you in scrapping your old style and becoming a pretty poser of a whole, new different look!  Whether you’re looking to bring your fashion a little back in time and start rocking some vintage pieces, or if you’re looking to swipe your credit card a few too many times at Jcrew to being your preppy chic phase, keep these ideas in mind in how to dress perfectly for these new styles!     

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com