Style > Beauty

“Physical v. Chemical Exfoliation: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

You may have heard that exfoliation is an essential part of the typical skincare routine. Whether or not you are a face-mask fanatic, it is important to know how exfoliation works and what products are right for you. So which exfoliants are better: physical or chemical? Let us go below the -skin- surface to uncover the truth! 

What is exfoliation and why do people do it?

Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells. It can help loosen blackheads and minimize your pores. Exfoliating once a week has the potential to revitalize your complexion and give you some seriously smooth skin.

Physical Exfoliation involves using a tool or substance to physically rub the skin. The most commonly advertised physical exfoliants are scrubs made with small granules. 

You can find scrubs with all natural, biodegradable granules like jojoba that are gentle and safe for the environment. On the other hand, you may encounter scrubs that made with small bits of plastic that can cause micro-tears in your skin and actually pollute our environment (yikes)! So, make sure you check the ingredients of any scrub before you buy it.

Chemical Exfoliation involves using acids to get rid of and/or digest skin cells. While the idea of putting chemicals on your skin is unnerving, it is not as scary as it seems. There are two common types of chemical exfoliants:

1. Alpha-hydroxy acids like glycolic acid and lactic acid remove dead skin cells and promote new skin cell growth.

2. Beta-hydroxy acids like salicylic acid penetrate the skin for deep exfoliation and are great for oily skin.

So, which is better?

Answer: It all depends. As I’m sure you’ve guessed, the type of product you should use depends on your specific skin type and whether or not you’re looking for a gentler or more abrasive exfoliation experience. 

Overall, dermatologists have determined that chemical exfoliants can be much gentler than physical ones. So, if you have sensitive skin, an alpha-hydroxy acid may be the way to go. If you less sensitive, more acne-prone skin, a salicylic acid exfoliant or physical scrub could be your go-to. 

Hopefully, now you know a little bit more about exfoliants than you did before. Now you’re ready to go find an exfoliant that’s perfect for you and your skin!

Interested in learning more?

Check out the Dermstore Blog and Soko Glam for more detailed information about the pros and cons of exfoliation.

Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell