The Paradox of Fitness Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In January 2014, Chanel and Dior runway shows were the first to introduce a trend in footwear previously unconventional to the world of haute couture: the sneaker.  It quickly made its way into the collections of some of our favorite high-fashion stores and continues to make its mark in all different shapes, sizes and colors.  Since then, we have also seen a trend-focused shift in some of our favorite fitness staples, moving from simply functional to fashionable.

Something just feels off about the phrase “fitness fashion.”  Sneakers may be the new go-to shoe, and the addition of a sexy sports bra to an everyday outfit might scream “comfy chic,” but as we know, these are trends, and trends tend to come and go in the fashion world.  So what does this mean for fitness?  Is it, too, just another passing fashion trend?

While fashionable workout-wear may give some women the motivation to get active, we should be cognizant of the fact that fitness is a lifestyle choice, not a trend.  Staying active and taking care of your body is critical to your overall physical and mental health.  As collegiettes, it is especially beneficial to get our blood flowing, as aerobic exercise has been proven to increase performance of the brain.  Not only can fitting in that 30-minute elliptical session at the gym enhance your academic performance, but it can also improve your creativity and boost your mood (body+soul).

Keep in mind, this doesn’t mean you should be working out just to squeeze into that little black dress, or work off all of the calories you consumed over the weekend.  Instead, place your focus on the fact that fitness will not only increase your lifelong well being, but it can also give you just another reason to love the skin you’re in.

“Fitness fashion” also brings us to examine the reason why we choose the active wear that we do.  Brands like Fabletics and Lululemon highlight products like revealing sports bras, tight leggings, and attention-grabbing tops that intend to excite and empower their customers.  However, should looking “good” or “trendy” be the first thing that we consider when working out? What happened to comfort and performance?

There is an argument to be made for the fact that we shouldn’t have to work out in order to fit into, or feel good in, active wear.  In 2013, the founder and owner of Lululemon stepped down after being criticized for his controversial statement that “some women’s bodies just don’t actually work [for yogawear]” (The Guardian).  Additionally, the brand’s clothing has a continuous reputation of running quite small, and only offers merchandise up to size 12. While some may feel empowered by low-cut, high-cropped, figure-hugging workout gear, these clothes have the ability to subtly body-shame the majority of customers who don’t.  Sadly, it seems as if fitness fashion has dwindled down to how “hot” women who wear these brands should be.

Whether you’re a Fabletics fanatic or the type of girl that grabs the first t-shirt and running shorts you can find in your dresser drawer, remember to wear what you want to wear when it comes time for your sweat session.  It’s perfectly valid to choose comfort over trend, functionality over fashion or vice versa.  Most importantly, stay active and adopt fitness into your lifestyle – not just because it’s trendy, but because it will make you feel good.  

Emmy is currenty a senior at Bucknell University studying Managing for Sustainability.  She's a believer in horoscopes, a Jersey girl at heart, and a lover of all things outdoorsy.