This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Before I start to preach to you, my lovely readers, in true big sister fashion, let me just preface this article by saying that I don’t have all of the answers to overcoming FOMO, though I sure as heck wish I did. I decided to write this article because I want to provide you all with my very organic point of view on navigating college life and the going out scene here at Bucknell. Truth be told, my opinion on the matter changes so often because I am young and I am still in the process of figuring out what is best for me and fills my cup. With that being said, here is my own personal hot take on listening to yourself when you don’t feel like going out, if that is your scene. 

I’m confident that before coming to college, you also had some adults chirping into your ear saying, “Soak it allllll in- these next few years are going to be the best years of your life!” When we hear phrases like that, we often think that going out and “letting loose” just a little bit is what makes college fun, and that if we don’t go out every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday like clockwork, we may as well just skip over college all together and get on with our lives. And although I am only a first year here at Bucknell, I am here to tell you that this thought process is absolutely not true, and is only anxious thoughts talking! 

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love to go out and have fun with my friends. Sitting with my girls in someone’s dorm room, blasting Lizzo, and doing each other’s makeup as we get ready together are definitely some of my very favorite memories that I have made here thus far. But some of my other favorite memories have been just me, chilling in my bed, watching Friends, journaling, and applying a face mask on a Friday night when my friends are out on the town. 

I am most certainly the type of person who needs her alone time in order to recharge my social battery and maintain my peace. This is especially important after a day of studying and creating new friendships here at Bucknell while keeping in touch with the people that I love back home. With that being said, there are quite a few Friday nights that I get home and – even as amazing as it is to make memories with my friends – I know what I need is a simple quiet night in so I can begin tomorrow on a fresh note. Whether that means watching The Bachelor with some friends, watch-partying with my lovely long distance boyfriend (hi Jack), or getting to sleep early, this balance is something that can be hard to find, but for many, if not, all of us, is so, so, so important. 

For months this was an aspect of myself that was very difficult for me to accept. I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t just “fit in” to the college culture and go out and have fun without my social battery getting completely depleted. It was not until I had a very genuine conversation with a few of my friends about how I was feeling that I realized that there are a lot more people out there that are in the exact same boat as me. I realized that I should not feel guilty for listening to what my mind and body need, and neither should you! Balance is key, fun has no cookie cutter definition, and the right people are never going to judge you for being attune with what you need.

When you look back at your time here at Bucknell, you’re not going to be counting on your fingers and feel sorry about how many Wednesdays you decided to sit home, catch up on homework, and eat ramen instead of going out. You’re going to be happy that you allowed yourself the peace that I, from the bottom of my heart, know that you deserve. FOMO can be hard, but just know that nobody is judging you for practicing a little self care. So next Friday, if you are not feeling the party scene, that’s okay! Order some Sushihanna or a burger from Bull Run, paint your nails, and recharge in time for Super Saturday, if that’s your scene! 

Kaelyn Jasina

Bucknell '22

Kaelyn Jasina is a First Year student at Bucknell University studying Psychology and Creative Writing. She loves to take spin classes on campus, go out with her friends, do yoga, and write stories highlighting what it means to be human. She hopes her work makes you feel empowered :)