courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The One Where I Dressed Like Friends Characters for a Week 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

No one told me life was gonna be this way. My life’s a joke, I’m broke, and my love life is certainly D.O.A. Even though most people tell you to dress for the life you want, not the life you have, I felt like a Friends Tribute was in order. So here’s my week dressed as every character from my favorite sitcom, entirely constructed from my wardrobe (and a little help from my friends).

For my first day, I started with a classic: Rachel’s school girl ensemble from “The One Where the Monkey Gets Away.” By the middle of lunch, my whole table was singing the theme song. My friend, Bri, told me, “Sus, you always look put together, but something about this outfit just works.” Turns out I, the individual who pairs floral chiffon with eyeball socks, could learn a thing or two from Rachel’s flirty uniform vibes. It was a huge crowd pleaser.

Joey’s outfit was the hardest to choose. The weather made me want to bundle up like when he wears all of Chandler’s clothes, and the look where he wears a basketball jersey over a T-shirt made me feel like every frat boy at a party. I opted for the classic: denim and a black turtleneck that screams “how YOU doin?” Overall, not my best look. Bri made three guesses before she figured out who I was, and my legs looked so bare that Dot, in the cafeteria, gave me tips on how to moisturize them (Queen Helene Shea Butter is the move).

I love Chandler’s outfits for the sole reason that they are perfectly hideous. I wanted to layer a sweatshirt under a t-shirt, Easy right? Impossible. Chandler made it look slouchy and cool, meanwhile I couldn’t put my arms down (cue Randy from a Christmas Story). I gave up entirely and threw on a sweatshirt OVER a T-shirt OVER a long sleeve shirt just to realize I looked like a different picture of Chandler. The cute tights are because nothing screams “make my love life not D.O.A.” like wearing more layers than my mother at a high school football game (sorry Mom).

Phoebe is my spirit animal. I too would sing about smelly cats and make out with a guy if he told me he was Ralph Lauren. I channeled her look from Season 8 when she suggests baby names (preferably Phoebe or Pheebo). I was told I looked like myself, but more conservative. They’re right. Did this outfit fulfill my comfy boho dreams? Absolutely. Would I still wear fishnets to an 8 a.m. class? Totally. 

Unpopular opinion: Monica is just as fashionable as Rachel. Hear me out: her white button downs and boyfriend jeans make Monica the queen of wardrobe essentials. This outfit, even with special touches like the tights, is still more basic than anything I’d reach for. Everyone kept telling me I looked put together, which is wild considering that I felt EXACTLY like this crying gif of Monica. Monica would never procrastinate on her essays, but this is where inspiration differs from imitation. 

Last but not least, I had to rock Ross’s most iconic look: the tight leather pants he wore on a date as part of his New Year’s resolution. This outfit definitely got a lot of looks and comments from the post-Super crowd at the caf. That being said, I’m pretty sure they thought I was a sexy librarian and not fashion icon Ross Geller. Well, it’s still a win in my books.

Susie Williams

Bucknell '23

Susie is a junior at Bucknell, majoring in Literary Studies and Russian. She believes in living fearlessly; well, almost fearlessly. Ceiling tiles and basketballs make her nervous. Susie plans to pursue a career in International Law.
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell