An Ode to My Dear Old Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

To my Dearest Dorm,

For three years I took advantage of all you had to offer.  You gave and gave and never asked for anything in return.  Now that I no longer dwell in your humble abode, I can safely say that there are things I miss, and many perks I should have been grateful for. 

Not once did I thank you for offering me both a desk and a dresser, and even a bed that had the ability to be placed at four different heights from the ground.  Never did I realize how nice it was for the furniture to already be neatly placed in the room, waiting for me when I returned to campus.  Carrying a mattress up a narrow flight of stairs is no easy feat.

And how about toilet paper?  Not once did I acknowledge the fact that there was toilet paper always at my disposal.  It may not have been Charmin, but hey, it was free!  Furthermore, It was always a comfort to know that if the toilet became clogged by this never-ending supply of toilet paper, there were three other toilets I could turn to.  AND it wasn’t my job to call the landlord to get the toilet fixed.  It magically happened for me.

Then there is the matter of heat.  November marks the time when we will finally begin turning on our heat, mainly because the temperature of our home is now equivalent to the North Pole.  However, this also means that it marks the time when our bills will begin to skyrocket.  So I am thanking you now dorm, for all of those times I switched the heat on as high as it would go, or the air down to double snowflake, simply because I could.

Don’t even get me started on hot water.  Who knew you actually had to call someone to get it turned on?  I realized that after one-too-many cold showers.  But your water was always warm, Dorm. Your water was always warm.

So Dorm, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you. I’m sure you don’t get that too often. Thanks for letting those not-so-simple pleasures seem simple to me for three years of my college career. Dorm, you did good.

-Native of Los Angeles, CA -Current Junior at Bucknell University studying Theatre, Creative Writing, and Music -Addicted to Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, orbit chewing gum, and dark chocolate email: mwd009@bucknell.edu
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com