No Studying Abroad Scaries Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s no surprise that studying abroad brings about natural and expected anxieties: you’re far away from home, thrown into a new culture and language, independent and solo for most likely the first time of your life, etc. The fear of discomfort and insecurities lie deep within almost everyone as they prepare for the 4- month journey: What kinds of food will you eat? Will you ever feel at home in such a foreign place? More importantly: what will you possibly wear?

Have no fear because Her Campus is here to bring you a short, handy guide on how to become an apparent citizen overnight in some of the most common study abroad places. Here is some raw fashion advice (+ more!) from Bucknell seniors who recently studied abroad. Florence: “Italians are the most fashionable people I’ve ever seen. Heels in the dead of winter, tight skirts to class, things you would only see off the runway; you name it, I most likely saw it. Be bold with your fashion! Buy that jacket you think you could never pull off and rock it down the streets. Italians never wore workout clothes and always wore black and/ or leather. Get dressed for success in ripped jeans, sneakers, a bold, furry white coat, and a leather backpack. Italians dress for the season, not for the weather. Don’t be surprised when they wear coats on a 70-degree day, because it’s just what they do. If it’s still winter, they’ll still be in jackets. My Italian friend once told me I was crazy when I was in flip-flops and she was in boots and a jacket. Also always start the day off with a croissant and cappuccino from the local bar (café in Italian).”

Australia: “Australians are just so cool. Picture messy hair, sneakers, and basic, effortless outfits. I thought everyone would wear rainbow flipflops but I was literally the only one in the country who owned them. Shoes in areas by the beach are not necessary. High-waisted jean skirt, reflective sunglasses (Quay were the most popular), and tons of tank tops are all great to have. When the temperature dropped like 2 degrees everyone suddenly wore coats and thought it was so freezing while I was still wearing sundresses. Also thongs = flip flops.” Czech Republic: “Bring tons of black clothes because it’s literally all they wore and maybe dress nicely to class because you would never see people in work out clothes. Also, if you smile, it means you are sexually interested in a stranger. So maybe don’t smile at strangers.”

Copenhagen: “Only wear black! Seriously! Even in the spring. Leather coats, black booties, black ripped jeans= all essentials. The weather is super cold pretty much all year round so a puffy coat is a great idea. Side note: don’t say, “excuse me” when you have to squeeze by someone or even “sorry” if you bump into someone; Danes might appear rude because of this but it’s just part of their culture to avoid any exchanges with strangers. It seems strange at first but you will get used to it!”

South Africa: “Shoes are definitely not always mandatory. Clothing is fun and summery; think beach meets boho chic! Cute sandals, dresses, rompers, and a jean jacket at night are all great things to have. Some useful words to know: Cool = lekker. Beer drink= cider savannah. Party = jol. Frats = diggs. Also important to know that Goldfish is not the tasty snack we all know and love but actually the most popular DJ there.”

Chile: “Make sure you don’t dress like you are flaunting money. It will only draw attention to you and people might be more intimidated to approach and befriend you. Definitely pack a lot of sneakers, workout clothes, and comfy things! Hikes and fun adventures are always possible so you’ll want to be dressed appropriately.”

Of course, at the end of the day, don’t change who you are or what you wear just to fit in with others; it’s more than okay to rock who you are and love every second of it. This guide is just meant to ease your worries and fears, because, let’s be real, not all countries are like America. We can be loud, we can be obnoxious, we can wear our letters and leggings all across campus daily, and we can have different opinions and perspectives than the rest of the world. Respect others cultures and languages, immerge yourself fully in the daily life of an average citizen, and never be afraid to wear whatever your little heart desires. Now, packing for abroad is another story- we’ll be here to help when that time comes around!

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.